Subject: [rbridge] ARP proxying

From: erik.nordmark at sun.com (Erik Nordmark)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 15:38:26 -0800

Radia Perlman wrote:
> I believe the ARP/ND optimization does need to be in the draft, because the
> solutions we've talked about need to be done by all RBridges.

I don't understand why all RBridges would need to do the optimizations.

At least for ARP replays, and for "ARP unicasts" (RBridges unicast 
request to the last known egress RBridge for the MAC address) I can see 
that some RBridges can do this based on the ARP information they have 
cached, while other RBridges just forward the ARP request packets as any 
other broadcast packets.

It certainly would be nice if we could have this as an optimization, but 
not require it.

    Erik

---

From: Radia.Perlman at sun.com (Radia Perlman)
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 16:07:56 -0800

You're right. What I meant is that whatever mechanism there is for 
distributed ARP/ND queries,
all the RBridges have to support it. But it can be the choice of the 
first RBridge when each
mechanism is performed.

Radia

Erik Nordmark wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>rbridge mailing list
>rbridge at postel.org
>http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
>  
>