Subject: [rbridge] FYI: CFP relevant to TRILL

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:33:05 -0700

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Cfp relevant to TRILL
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:30:55 +0300
From: Jukka Manner <[email-masked]>
To: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
References: <[email-masked]> <[email-masked]>

BIPN'09 Call For Papers

1st IEEE Workshop on Below IP Networking (BIPN'09) in conjuction with
Globecom 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii.

http://www.bipn.org

BIPN 2009 is soliciting original and previously unpublished papers
addressing research challenges and advances towards metropolitan and
wide area networking that work below the IP layer. Particular interest
is in enhanced Ethernet technology in context with future access and
Internet core networks and systems as well as advances in the label
switching technologies. A common denominator is implementing carrier
grade transport capabilities below IP.

The role of IP in networks is undermined by numerous add-on solutions,
many of which reside below IP in the stack. Add-ons provide resiliency,
traffic engineering, quality of service, network virtualization, network
hiding and edge to edge connectivity etc. Ethernet and MPLS footprints
in networks are increasing. An industry trend is that from synchronous
transmission, networks are moving to packet based transport based on
802.1 variants or IP/MPLS. Both Ethernet and MPLS are being turned into
Carrier Grade transport technologies. The use of native Ethernet based
control, signaling and management solutions in large operator and
corporate networks will help to reduce costs while scaling networks to
higher transport speeds and to carrier grade operator solutions. IP/MPLS
transport is agnostic to underlying layers.

Now the industry is seeking advice on the particular form of packet
based transport technology and on what will be the role of IPv4 when
unallocated address pools will soon be exhausted – will it continue to
serve as a routed protocol or will the responsibility for all end to end
connectivity be delegated to below IP technology?

In order to support different products, services, pricing or business
models, etc. solutions must be open standard and flexible enough. New
networking principles using enhanced Ethernet are being explored in
several international efforts. The industry is developing the MPLS
transport profile.

The 1st IEEE Workshop on Below IP Networking (BIPN’09) provides a venue
for academic and industrial research communities for exchanging ideas
and experience on all aspects of below IP Networking. Papers that
present work, validated by experimentation, simulations, or analysis, as
well as position papers and papers discussing and comparing concepts,
architectures and interfaces are solicited, on the topics including, but
not limited to

      * intra and inter carrier path computation and routing below IP
      * intra and inter carrier protection and restoration below IP
      * intra and inter carrier OAM
      * below IP solutions for intra domain and inter carrier traffic
        engineering
      * new forwarding technologies
      * connection oriented and connectionless network services using
        packet transport
      * identities and addressing for enhanced Ethernet networks
      * mobility issues and mobility solutions for packet transport
        networks
      * scalability and implementation complexity of below IP networking
        solutions
      * quality of service in packet transport networks
      * network discovery below IP
      * IP vs End-2-End Ethernet
      * co-existence and interoperation of routed IP and routed Ethernet
      * positioning of native enhanced Ethernet against IP, MPLS, GMPLS
        and MPLS-TP
      * techno-economics of transport Ethernet, MPLS-TP and Internet by
        Ethernet

Papers should be original material in the IEEE two column format limited
to 6 pages.

Important dates

      * Full paper submission: July 23rd 2009
      * Notification of acceptance: August 28th 2009
      * Final papers due: September 10th 2009

Submission implies the willingness of at least one of the authors to
register and present the paper. Accepted papers must be presented at the
workshop and will appear in the IEEE Explore.

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge