Subject: [rbridge] FW: New Version Notification for draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-00.txt

From: "Zhangmingui, (Mingui)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2011 06:41:40 +0000

A new version of I-D, draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Mingui Zhang and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-zhang-trill-vlan-extension
Revision:	 00
Title:		 To Address the Space Limitation of Inner VLAN
Creation date:	 2011-05-31
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 8

Abstract:
   TRILL is originally designed for customer networks. When it is used
   as a provider network to interconnect multiple separate users, the
   space of current Inner VLAN becomes insufficient. As an easy way, we
   can introduce a new VLAN ID field to TRILL header. The new VLAN ID
   can be use in conjunction with the native Inner VLAN, which is
   usually known as stacked VLANs(or Q-in-Q). The stacked VLANs
   mechanism is analyzed in this document. In addition, a novel MAC
   address rewriting mechanism is also brought forward to break the
   space limitation of the Inner VLAN. The MAC addresses of the native
   frame are not used for forwarding process in transit RBridges. When
   the packet enters the TRILL network, the ingress RBridge (Appointed
   Forwarder) uses a Virtual MAC (VMAC) address to replace the real MAC
   and embedded the native VLAN ID into this virtual MAC address. When a
   packet egresses from the TRILL network, the egress RBridge will use
   the real MAC address to replace the virtual MAC address and deliver
   it to the destination on the local link.

The IETF Secretariat
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 23:35:15 -0400

Hi Mingui,

A significant difficulty I see with your draft is that, as far as I
know, it is not supported by any of the existing TRILL fast path
silicon implementations. I expect that a draft of a method using
double tagging that is supported by at least some of the existing
TRILL fast path silicon will be posted within a few days.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]