Subject: [rbridge] comment about draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-channel-02

From: Anoop Ghanwani <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:26:44 -0700

This pertains to the following text in Section 2.2:

When an RBridge Channel message is originated, the Hop Count field
defaults to the maximum value, 0x3F, but particular RBridge Channel
protocols MAY specify other values. For messages sent a known number
of hops, such as one-hop messages or two-hop neighbor echo messages,
setting the Hops field to the maximum value and checking the Hop
Count field on receipt provides an additional validity check as
discussed in [RFC5082].

And then later:

If the channel message is a multi-hop
unicast message, then the egress nickname is a nickname of the target
RBridge; this includes the special case of an "echo" OAM message
where the originator places one of its own nicknames in both the
ingress and egress nickname fields.

Technically we could have an echo message that has
both the ingress and egress nicknames the same, or it
could have them different (i.e. the actual egress RBridge).
Would it be possible to disambiguate these two?
Perhaps we could refer to the generic echo message
as a loopback, and the one with the identical ingress
and egress nickname as an echo?
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge