Subject: [rbridge] Query on MTU Test

From: somnath chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 12:14:41 +0530

Hi Authors,

>From RFC6325,Section 4.3.2
"If X is not greater than Sz, then RB1 sets the "failed minimum MTU
test" flag for RB2 in RB1's Hello.  If size X succeeds, and X > Sz,
then RB1 advertises the largest tested X for each adjacency in the
TRILL Hellos RB1 sends on that link, and RB1 MAY advertise X as an
attribute of the link to RB2 in RB1's LSP."

and from draft-zhang-trill-mtu-negotiation-01,Section 2
 "If the link MTU size X of an adjacency is successfully tested (X >=
campus-wide Sz), its state will move from 2-way to Report, which is
defined in [RFC6327]"

These two statements looks conflicting when X is equal to Sz. It looks
to me we should consider MTU Test passed if X is equal to Sz.If this
is correct then we need to modify in RFC6325,Section 4.3.2 from

"If X is not greater than Sz, then RB1 sets the "failed minimum MTU
test" flag for RB2 in RB1's Hello.  If size X succeeds, and X > Sz,
then RB1 advertises the largest tested X for each adjacency in the
TRILL Hellos RB1 sends on that link, and RB1 MAY advertise X as an
attribute of the link to RB2 in RB1's LSP."

to

"If X is not greater than or equal to Sz, then RB1 sets the "failed
minimum MTU test" flag for RB2 in RB1's Hello.  If size X succeeds,
and X >= Sz, then RB1 advertises the largest tested X for each
adjacency in the TRILL Hellos RB1 sends on that link, and RB1 MAY
advertise X as an attribute of the link to RB2 in RB1's LSP."

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you,
Regards,
Somnath
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Mingui Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:47:02 +0000

Hi Somnath,

I think you are correct. I believe this issue can be addressed in " RBridges: Clarifications and Corrections". 

Thanks,
Mingui

   > -----Original Message-----
   > From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
   > Behalf Of somnath chatterjee
   > Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:45 PM
   > To: [email-masked]
   > Subject: [rbridge] Query on MTU Test
   > 
   > Hi Authors,
   >

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 23:18:47 -0800

Yeah.  I think you are correct.  It should say "If X is not greater than or
equal to Sz", as you pointed out.

Thanks for the careful read!

Radia