Subject: [rbridge] Query about suspension timer

From: somnath chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 11:56:27 +0530

Hi Authors,

>From RFC 6327
"If the port was in some state other than Suspended, the suspension
timer is set to the Holding Time in the Hello that causes event D4.
If it was in the Suspended state, the suspension timer is set to the
maximum of its current value and the Holding Time in the Hello that
causes event D4"

The suspension timer is directly dependent on holding time of the
Hello it receives and it comes up initially with holding time value in
the Hello received. Default holding time value is 3 times(multiplier)
the Hello interval which is 3 x 3=9 secs. So if all the values are
default for both the RBs(one sending Hello and the other going to
suspended state), suspension timer should initiate with 9 secs.I just
wanted to confirm this.Is this correct?

Thank you,
Regards,
Somnath
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 20:40:46 -0500

Hi Somnath,

> wanted to confirm this.Is this correct?

Those seem like reasonable values and the correct conclusion for those
values but I don't believe that TRILL specifies any default values in
this area.

Section 7.5 of ISO-10589 (2nd Edition) specifies ISISHoldingMultiplier
as 10 but I believe the most real implementations use a multiplier
more like 3 (which you used above) or 5.

It is my impression that default Layer 3 IS-IS Holding times are
commonly 30 or 40 seconds. It is probably a good idea to use a
significantly lower value for TRILL.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Russ White <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 11:33:19 -0500

> significantly lower value for TRILL.

Most deployments today use 3/9 or 1/3... I've not seen anyone using
10/30 in a while (that I can remember, anyway).

:-)

Russ