Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL (Transparent Interconnetion of Lots of Links): Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD) Support' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 08:28:42 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL (Transparent Interconnetion of Lots of Links): Bidirectional
   Forwarding Detection (BFD) Support'
  (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots
of Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ralph Droms and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-bfd/

Technical Summary

   This document specifies use of the Bidirectional Forwarding
   Detection (BFD) protocol in RBridge campuses based on the RBridge
   Channel extension to the the TRILL protocol. BFD is a simple,
   widely deployed OAM mechanism in IP and MPLS networks, using UDP
   and ACH encapsulation respectively. This document specifies the BFD
   encapsulation over TRILL.

Working Group Summary

   There was a clear consensus in favor of the document with the
   consensus determination made in late February. There was then some
   delay due to fixing various editorial problems and nits, many of
   which were discussed on the mailing list during the WG Last Call,
   but these have now been fixed.

Document Quality

   BFD and TRILL are both widely implemented although there have been
   no announced implementations of the BFD encapsulation for TRILL in
   this document. During the review period, the addition of some
   material to the Security Considerations section was suggested and
   adopted. See
   http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/2012-February/004768.html
   http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/2012-February/004819.html

Personnel

   Erik Nordmark is the Document Shepherd.  Ralph Droms
   is the responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please replace the citation and reference to RFC 20 with:

   [ANSI.X3-4.1986]  American National Standards Institute, "Coded
                     Character Set - 7-bit American Standard Code for
                     Information Interchange", ANSI X3.4, 1986.