Subject: [trill] Fwd: IPR Disclosure Requirements - Please READ & NOTE

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 09:58:50 -0400

The following is a good reminder about the IETF IPR policy patterned
after a message that Kathleen Moriarty sent to the MILE WG in 2012
and one that was sent to the DHC WG.

Dear TRILL WG:

As TRILL WG Chairs, we would like to minimize or hopefully even
eliminate late disclosures relating to documents under consideration
within the TRILL WG.  So you might see us send "reminder" messages in
the future to authors or to the TRILL WG email list as a whole, asking
people whether they know of Intellectual Property Rights (IPR)
relating to specific documents.  In order to comply with IETF
processes and avoid unnecessary delays, document authors and
contributors to our discussions in the TRILL WG are asked to pay
attention to these messages.

Please note that these messages are only reminders of existing IETF
policy, and we are all bound by that policy even in the absence of
such reminder messages.  Everyone who participates in the IETF
Standards Process (whether by posting to mailing lists, authoring
documents, attending IETF meetings, or in other ways) needs to be
aware of the IETF rules with regard to IPR.  These rules are described
in BCP 79 and can be referenced through
http://www.ietf.org/ipr/policy.html.  In addition, online tools for
filing IPR disclosures can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/ipr/file-disclosure.  Finally, existing
disclosures can be searched online at
https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/search/.

Also note that these are personal requirements applying to all IETF
participants as individuals, and that these requirements also apply to
all participants in the TRILL WG. Disclosures are required on
individual submissions, as soon as practical after the -00 version...
not just on working group documents.  There are many people who think
it's okay to disclose only after adoption, and everyone needs to be
reminded that it's not.

Thanks,
Sue & Jon