Subject: [trill] AD review of draft-ietf-trill-over-ip-14

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 18:55:08 -0500

As is traditional, I have done my AD review of draft-ietf-trill-over-ip-14.
First I would like to thank the authors - Donald, Margaret, Mingui, and
Dacheng, as well as the reviewers for their work on this document.

I did find one minor issue (below) and would recommend a spell-checker to
catch several minor typos.  I will send this to IETF Last Call and place it
on the IESG telechat on March 8.

Minor:

1) In Sec 5.2: " An adjacency can be formed between two TRILL over IP
transport ports if the intersection of the sets of encapsulation methods
they support is not null. If that intersection is null, then no adjacency
is formed."
Given that Sec 5.0 says that the native encapsulation MUST be supported,
how can the set be null?  Is this the set of encapsulation methods other
than the native encapsulation?  Please clarify.

Regards,
Alia

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:30:10 -0500

Hi Alia,

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> As is traditional, I have done my AD review of
> draft-ietf-trill-over-ip-14. First I would like to thank the authors -
> Donald, Margaret, Mingui, and Dacheng, as well as the reviewers for their
> work on this document.
>

Unless the port is configured to use some other encapsulation X for all
types of traffic, then a port has to "support" UDP for the low bandwidth of
Hellos and other adjacency establishment PDUs. This is different from
advertising support for UDP which means a willingness to use it for data
traffic and LSPs. This needs to be clarified. Maybe "limited support"
versus "full support".

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 20:39:17 -0500

Hi Donald,

> traffic and LSPs. This needs to be clarified. Maybe "limited support"

Thanks, that would work.  The draft currently doesn't indicate limited
support and the previous paragraph indicates that signaling nothing assumes
"native encapsulation".

Regards,
Alia

Thanks,
>  Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 <(508)%20333-2270> (cell)
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=155+Beaver+Street,+Milford,+MA+01757+USA&entry=gmail&source=g>
>  [email-masked]
>
>
>> Regards,
>> Alia
>>
>
>

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2018 13:57:50 -0500

Hi Alia,

The just posted version -15 attempts to resolve your comments.

Thanks,
Donald

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:39 PM, Alia Atlas <[email-masked]> wrote:

>>> I did find one minor issue (below) and would recommend a spell-checker
>>> to catch several minor typos.  I will send this to IETF Last Call and place
>>> it on the IESG telechat on March 8.
>>>
>>> Minor:
>>>