Subject: [Tsvwg] Working Group last call for RTO draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 May 00 18:59:34 EDT

Folks,

This starts a two-week working group last call for
draft-paxson-tcp-rto-01.txt, Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer,
by Vern Paxson and Mark Allman.  It is being reviewed for
standards track publication.  Please send your comments to
the list or the authors by May 19.

Scott and Allison

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Kacheong Poon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 16:41:29 -0700 (PDT)

One question about the draft.  In section 2,

    (2.2) When the first RTT measurement R is made, the host MUST set

              SRTT <- R
              RTTVAR <- R/2
              RTO <- SRTT + max (G, K*RTTVAR)

          where K = 4.

Suppose it is a long thin network, and the first R is measured using a
small packet.  The next segment is in full MSS size.  But the network is
so "thin" that the segment takes longer than 2*R to transmit to the other
end, the above MUST will probably cause a timeout because RTO is 3*R
(assuming 2*R > G) and another R is needed for the ACK to get back to sender.
Should the requirement be changed to something like "RTO MUST be set to a
minimum of" the above calculation?

							K. Poon.
							[email-masked]