Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D on TCP Connection Migration

From: Hari Balakrishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 23:27:45 -0500

Alex Snoeren and I recently submitted a draft (draft-snoeren-tcp-migrate-00.txt)
 on TCP connection migration.  We are hoping to get comments on it from this 
group, and take suggestions on how to improve it, and ideally, to get a 
discussion going on it.

Thanks,
Hari

PS: Abstract below:

   This document describes a set of TCP options to support the migration
   of an active TCP connection across IP addresses and TCP port numbers.
   Using this option, a TCP peer can open a migrateable connection,
   transfer one or more bytes on it, and continue the connection from
   another IP address/TCP port pair in an application-transparent
   fashion.  The set of addresses or ports from where a connection might
   be continued need not be known in advance.  Security against
   connection hijacking is achieved using a secret cryptographic cookie
   negotiated through an Elliptic Curve Diffie-Hellman [ANSI-X962]
   exchange during connection establishment.  The initiation of
   migration can be done either by one of the communicating peers, or by
   a trusted third-party that presents the negotiated cryptographic
   cookie.

   TCP connection migration has several applications, including
   preserving TCP communication across host mobility in the Internet,
   and inter-host migration of connections for fault-tolerance or load-
   balancing.  Furthermore, unlike previous approaches such as ETCP
   [Huitema95], the Migrate options require no modification to the TCP
   header, packet format, or semantics, and can be initiated by a
   trusted node different from the communicating peers.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg