Subject: [Tsvwg] Internet Draft on ABE

From: "Paul Hurley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 22:08:30 +0100

Hi,

I would like to draw your attention to the following Internet Draft,
"The ABE Service"
draft-hurley-alternative-best-effort-01.txt

I enclose the abstract at the bottom. The draft itself can be found
from the usual locations or from:
http://www.abeservice.org/papers/draft-hurley-alternative-best-effort-
01.txt

Any comments etc. are most welcome.

Thanks,
Paul.

Abstract

   ABE (Alternative Best-Effort) is a novel service for IP networks.
It
   offers applications the choice between receiving a lower
end-to-end
   delay and receiving more overall throughput. Every best effort 
   packet is tagged as either green or blue. Green packets receive a 
   low, bounded queueing delay. To ensure blue packets do not suffer
as
   a result, green flows receive less throughput during bouts of
   congestion.
   
   The unique combination of lower delay with reduced throughput for 
   green makes it different from existing differentiated service
   proposals such as expedited forwarding and assured forwarding. 
   The incentive to choose one or other is based on the nature of
   one's traffic and on traffic conditions. Typically, green flows
have
   real-time deadlines (e.g. interactive audio), while blue traffic
   (e.g. bulk data transfer) seeks to minimise overall transfer time.
   There is benefit for all traffic in that green traffic achieves
   a low delay and blue traffic will receive at least as much
throughput
   as it would in a flat best-effort network and usually more.
Neither
   traffic type can be said to be better, thus flat rate pricing may
be
   maintained, and there is no need for reservations or profiles. 
 
   In this document we define the ABE service, discuss its
usefulness, 
   and describe the requirements of router algorithms for ABE
support. 
   We outline one particular router implementation, its
implementation
   in dummynet, and present initial experimental results of it on a
   testbed. Note that ABE is not restricted to any specific
   implementation and other implementations such as those based on
   per-flow queueing are  certainly do-able. As such, we invite
   universities and research centres to  define other
implementations.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg