Subject: [Tsvwg] RE: Working Group Last Call on SCTP checksum change

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 09:50:53 -0800

This could be used to update the draft to satisfy the missing sections:

3 Security Considerations

There may be a computational advantage in validating the Association against
the Verification Tag prior to performing a checksum as invalid tags will
result in the same action as a bad checksum in most cases.  The exceptions
for this technique would be INIT and some SHUTDOWN-COMPLETE exchanges as
well as a stale COOKIE-ECHO.  These special case exchanges must represent
small packets and will minimize the effect of the checksum calculation.

4 IANA Considerations

There are no IANA considerations required in this document.

Doug

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:38:26 -0600

Doug:

These look real good, I have put them in the forming -02 version with
the addition of:

- Fixed references for 2119 and 2960
- Fixed some \n\r issues (corrected by good ole dos2unix).
- A commented pointed out by Matt Crawford (offline):

  in the abstract the statement:

  "For small packets, this provides weak protection against the 
   detection of errors."

  is a bit unclear  :>

  I think that changing it to:

  "For small packets Adler-32 provides weak detection of errors."

  makes it a bit more concise :>>

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)