Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP Heartbeat related questions

From: Kavitha Baratakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 13:56:13 -0600

I have a couple of questions related to heartbeat api:

1) When a destination transport address has been marked inactive the RFC
says that a NETWORK STATUS CHANGE notification may be invoked on the
ULP. (10.2 SCTP-to-ULP sub-section C)). However the Socket API draft
does not discuss anything about this notification. Was this missed? or
is this to be an implementor's choice?

2) Nothing has been discussed in the Socket API extentions draft, about
disabling/enabling heartbeats for specific destination transport address
from an user-level application. 

I would appreciate a response.

FYI, in the Socket API draft the SCTP_NODELAY option has been specified
as the SO_NODELAY options in the index (page 1 of the draft). Also, in
the index the SCTP_SEND_FAILED Notification is mispelt as
SCTP_SEND_FAILE

Thanks,
Kavitha 
_________________________________________________________

	Kavitha V. Baratakke
	IBM AIX TCP/IP Development Group
	11501, Burnet Road, Bldg.905,5D-018, Austin, TX - 78758
_________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Peter Lei <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2002 14:23:30 -0600

Kavitha,

> is this to be an implementor's choice?

This is addressed by SCTP_PEER_ADDR_CHANGE: ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE notification
event in the draft.

> from an user-level application.

This is addressed by the SCTP_SET_PEER_ADDR_PARAMS socket option-- setting
the heartbeat interval to 0 indicates that heartbeating should be disabled
for that peer dest address.  A non-zero value indicates the HB interval in
msec (except the special case of MAX_UINT32).

--peter