Subject: [Tsvwg] New draft on using SCTP for signaling protocols

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 10:52:41 +0300

Hi all,

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I have just submitted the following draft:

SCTP Layer for Transporting Signaling Protocols 

Abstract 

   The Stream Control Transport Protocol (SCTP) has been standardized to 
   provide a reliable transport services for signaling protocols.  SCTP 
   features a number of new features that are useful for transporting 
   signaling protocols, but may require additional information on how to 
   use them to transport existing signaling protocols. 

Which can be found here until it gets through the queue:

http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-loughney-sctp-sig-prot-00.txt

=== 

Basically, this is the outcome of some internal protocol development.  We
found that using an existing SIGTRAN UA for peer-to-peer signaling
is often quite heavy and not needed.  However, adapting existing signaling
protocols to run directly over SCTP sockets may not always be feasible
without re-standardizing these protocols.

Currently, the draft details some issues for consideration.  We do have
much of this already running in code, but I thought it best to start
more at the basics before jumping into solutions.

I'd appreciate comments on this, if folks feel that it is useful or not.

best regards,
John

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg