Subject: [Tsvwg] Quick-Start for TCP and IP

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 11:48:30 -0700

Amit Jain and I have a new internet-draft on
Quick-Start for TCP and IP, available at:

http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-amit-quick-start-00b.txt

We would appreciate any feedback from this communitu.

This is something that it would take some time to deploy, and it
might or might not be a good idea, but it could significantly reduce
transfer times for moderate-sized best-effort traffic over
underutilized, high-bandwidth infrastructures...

We would note that this is not (at the moment) an official tsvwg
work item, or even an official internet-draft (since we missed the
submission deadline).

Thanks,
- Sally

Abstract:

   This draft outlines an optional Quick-Start mechanism for transport
   protocols to determine an optional allowed initial congestion window
   or initial sending rate at the start of a data transfer.  This
   mechanism is designed to be used by a range of transport protocols;
   however, in this document we only describe its use with TCP and IPv4.
   By using Quick-Start, a TCP host, say, host A, would indicate its
   desired initial sending rate in packets per second in a Quick Start
   Request option in the IP header of the initial TCP SYN or SYN/ACK
   packet. Each router in turn could either approve the specified
   initial rate, reduce the specified initial rate, or indicate that
   nothing above the default initial rate for that protocol would be
   allowed.  The Quick-Start mechanism also can determine if there are
   routers along the path that do not understand the Quick Start Request
   option, or have not agreed to the initial rate described in the
   option. If all of the routers along the path have agreed to the
   initial rate in the Quick-Start Request, then TCP host B communicates
   this to TCP host A in a transport-level Quick-Start Response in the
   answering SYN/ACK or ACK packet.  Quick-Start is designed to allow
   TCP connections to use high initial windows in circumstances when
   there is significant unused bandwidth along the path, and all of the
   routers along the path support the Quick-Start Request.  We note that
   this is currently not a mature proposal, but an outline of one
   possible path of development in the IP protocol, and a request for
   feedback from the community.

------- Forwarded Message

Date:    Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:31:48 -0700
From:    Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
To:      [email-masked]
cc:      Amit Jain <[email-masked]>
Subject: Internet drafts submission of draft-amit-quick-start-00a.txt

I would like to submit this internet-draft.

http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-amit-quick-start-00a.txt
draft-amit-quick-sta.. 23-Jun-2002 22:13    36k  

I unfornately just realized this morning that the deadline was
9AM ET instead of 5PM ET, as I had been assuming, so probably
you are not able to accept this submission.  But I thought I
would try nevertheless: the file on the web server is dated
last night, and therefore the draft itself was completed by
the deadline...

- Sally

------- End of Forwarded Message

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Mohammed Ashraf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 17:01:21 +0530

I have some basic queries  on  Quick-Start for TCP and IP draft.  I
appreciate if  you could clarify this.

Here are my queries:
 1. Draft says that Quick start request option will be included as a part
of IP header, while  quick start response as part of
      TCP header. Is it because the  quick start response need not be
processed by IP?

2. I guess IP header option should keep 32 bit boundry (i.e multiple of 4
bytes ). But in the case of quick start request, it  has got 5 bytes. Is
the padding to be done here assumed?

Thanks in advance,
Ashraf

Sally Floyd wrote:

> ----
> -- Forwarded Message