Subject: [Tsvwg] new draft on mitigating effects of reordering

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 00:11:01 -0500

Folks-

Ethan Blanton, Bob Dimond and I have just submitted the following
Internet-Draft:

    Ethan Blanton, Robert Dimond, Mark Allman. Practices for TCP
    Senders in the Face of Segment Reordering, February
    2003. Internet-Draft draft-blanton-tcp-reordering-00.txt (work
    in progress). 
    http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/papers/draft-blanton-tcp-reordering-00.txt

The i-d should pop out in the usual places in a couple of days.
Until then you can slurp it at the URL above.

The background.... At the last IETF meeting I gave quick status on
draft-blanton-dsack-use-02.txt -- which outlines how to use DSACK
information to reliably detect spurious retransmits.  The question
then was "who cares?  I can't do anything anyway".  And, that is
true.  Hence the above i-d (which is really a large update to an
old, outdated and expired i-d).

The above i-d does not specify how to decide when you have
retransmitted needlessly.  That is left to other i-ds (our DSACK
version or eifel or frto or ...).  The above i-d specifies what you
can do with your congestion control state (basically undo bogus
changes) and a few different mitigations for changing the fast
retransmit trigger so that you prevent future needless retransmits.

It's -00 and we're sure it is rough around the edges.  But, we'd
appreciate any comments folks might have on it.

Thanks!

allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg