Subject: [Tsvwg] Redundant TCP connection

From: Mudhafar Hassan-Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 07:57:02 -0800

All,

I am wondering if any one is aware of the feasibility in practice to
make a redundant TCP connection? This type of connection is needed in a
redundant system. In such system (call it X), there are two sides, an
active one and a standby one. Let's say the active one has a TCP
connection with a piece of equipment Y somewhere in the network. At some
point, the active fails, which will lead to a protection switch. This
event will disrupt the TCP connection, which means Y will close its
connection, and the second side of X need to open the connection also.
However, my goal is not to disrupt the connection during the side
switch. So the question is: Is it feasible to make a redundant TCP
connection, such that the two sides somehow are synchronized (what are
the parameters needed?). So for a given TCP/IP stack, how feasible and
practical to do that?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Mudhafar Hassan-Ali
Wireline Access
Alcatel

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:19:32 -0700

Mudhafar,

Have you looked at SCTP?  Its multi-homed feature will do what you want.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Mudhafar Hassan-Ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 07:20:13 -0800

Brian,

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I looked at it briefly, but my concern was
that I needed to make sure the client would have to be of regular TCP (any
version). I was not sure that was possible with an SCTP server.

Regards,
Mudhafar