Subject: [Tsvwg] Proposed FEC Streaming Framework

From: "Mark Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:49:34 -0400

All,

A few of us have been working on a framework for FEC protection of
streaming media, based on some work done recently in 3GPP and making use
of the FEC Building Block defined by RMT (so that the framework is not
specific to a particular FEC code).

This proposal is described in
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-watson-tsvwg-fec-sf-00.txt.
Although intended primarily for streaming, it is not specific to RTP,
defining instead an FEC protection layer above UDP, which can protect a
set of several UDP flows.

Since the proposal is not specific to either multicast or RTP, we are
bringing it first to TSVWG, rather than RMT or AVT. It will be discussed
at the Paris meeting, so please put it on your reading list.

The questions for the TSVWG are (at least):
1) is the objective of extending the RMT FEC Building Block framework to
streaming a good one ?
2) is this a good approach to that objective ?
3) what is the relationship with the ULP work in AVT ?
4) whether the proposal should best be progressed in AVT (where there is
streaming expertise), in RMT (where there is FEC expertise) or in TSVWG
?

Regards,

Mark Watson
Digital Fountain

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Jeremy Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:04:33 +0100

> 2) is this a good approach to that objective ?

Is there any particular reason why FEC shouldn't be
implemented in a first-class transport layer immediately
above IP, apart from ease of research?

- Jeremy Harris