Subject: [Tsvwg] RT-ECN question raised by JMPolk

From: "Kwok-Ho Chan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 10:00:20 -0400

James:
I have found an E-Mail thread on the IETF MMUSIC mailing list that may be 
related to
what you've indicated on the microphone during the TSVWG session on Wed 
August 3, 2005
1400-1630 at the 63rd IETF.
I have included the answer Corey Alexander provided on the MMUSIC mailing 
list on
Mon August 1, 2005.  Which I think you have indicated there was no reply to 
your question.

Please let us know if this is the question that you were referring to when 
you were on the
microphone making the comment.

If this is not the question, please let us know and state the question 
clearly and we will do
our best to address it.

If this is the question that you were referring to, please let us know if 
it addressed the question
that you were raising and if it does not address it, we would like to know 
why not, we will
try our best to address it.

Thank you very much for your questions and participation, please let us 
know what other
questions you may have and we will do our best to address/resolve them.
-- Kwok --

E-Mail from MMUSIC mailing list included below as posted in MMUSIC list 
archive:

Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about 
draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00 [different network paths]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00
[different network paths]

   To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk at cisco.com>
   Subject: Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about
   draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00 [different network 
paths]
   From: "Corey Alexander" <coreya at nortel.com>
   Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 16:32:36 -0500
   Cc: Joerg Ott <jo at informatik.uni-bremen.de>, JÃ¶rg Ott <jo at
   netlab.hut.fi>, mmusic at ietf.org, Colin Perkins <csp at csperkins.org>
   In-reply-to: <[email-masked]>
   List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
   List-id: Multiparty Multimedia Session Control Working Group 
<mmusic.ietf.org>

   List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
   List-subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic>,
   <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
   List-unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic>,
   <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
   References: <[email-masked]>
   <[email-masked]>
   Sender: mmusic-bounces at ietf.org
   User-agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0.6 (Windows/20050716)

James M. Polk wrote:
   - how this can work at all when RTP packets take potentially different 
routes
   between source and destination (dual-homing anyone?), therefore a false 
sense
   of accomplishment will be likely in larger and larger networks;

First, although this is not the focus of this question, I would like to 
make it
clear that the probe packets will be generated with the same parameters
(destination IP/port, source IP/port, and DSCP) as the associated media whose
admission status is being determined. Hence, the probe packets are handled and
routed the same as their associated media packets within the network.

It is accepted that once sent, the application no longer has control of how 
and
where the individual packets are routed. However, if some of the packets do 
take
different paths than others, the underlying Real-time ECN method still works.
Some of the packets may indicate congestion along a different path through the
network than that taken by others that do not indicate congestion. So 
regardless
of whether the packets take a single route or multiple routes through the
network, there will still be an indication of congestion when the packets
arrive.

--
Corey W. Alexander

_______________________________________________
mmusic mailing list
mmusic at ietf.org
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mmusic

   References:
     [MMUSIC] Agenda for Paris (updated)
       From: Colin Perkins
     [MMUSIC] Concerns about 
draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00
       From: James M. Polk
   Prev by Date: Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about
   draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00 [How long does probe 
"stay
   up"]
   Next by Date: Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about
   draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00 [m and a lines]
   Previous by thread: Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about
   draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00 [How long does probe 
"stay
   up"]
   Next by thread: Re: [MMUSIC] Concerns about
   draft-alexander-congestion-status-preconditions-00 [m and a lines]
   Index(es):
     Date
     Thread

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg