Subject: [Tsvwg] RT-ECN and RFC 3540 Nonce

From: "Jozef Babiarz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 11:22:52 -0400

[David's Concern]
(2) Probe sequence does not replace function of RFC 3540 nonce.  The
	RT-ECN draft requires that the receiver be trusted, and hence
the
	RT-ECN probe mechanism does not detect a cheating receiver that
	fails to return congestion indications to the sender.  Detection
	of such a cheating receiver is the primary purpose of RFC 3540.

[Response]
The RT-ECN mechanism is for the control of congestion that may be caused
by real-time inelastic traffic in the network.  This is different to
what is defined in RFC 3168 and RFC 3540 for several reasons that are
stated in the draft. 

RFC 3168 requires that the sender is trusted. With RT-ECN the
requirement is that the receiver is trusted. In fact due to the
signalling that is used to setup the session both the sender and the
receiver are trusted. Since RT-ECN is targeted at application that use
signalling such as SIP it does not have the issue of receiver cheating
assuming that appropriate procedures and security recommendation are
followed for signaling. 

Regards, 
-- Joe Babiarz, Kwok Ho Chan, Corey Alexander -

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg