Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP with multi-homed endpoint

From: Devayya <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 12:43:12 +0530

Hi ...

According to SCTP RFC in case of multi-homed endpoints, the endpoint 
shall choose a ip address from INIT or INIT-ACK as a primary  path.
Consider a case where one of the multi-homed endpoint has sent a INIT, 
and it receives a COOKIE-ECHO (instead of INIT-ACK) as a first chunk 
from a multi-homed peer endpoint, then
 
1)   what happens to the choice of the primary path? and choice of 
corresponding destination paths ?

2)   how does the association procedure go in this perticular case?

Please clarify.....

Thanks and best regards,
devayya

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 02:19:41 -0600

Devayya,

Choose a primary from the INIT information contained in the state cookie
within the COOKIE ECHO.  The state cookie needs to contain all of the
addresses from the INIT, anyway.  When you receive a COOKIE ECHO that
will successfully form an association, you are choosing an address for
the primary from the state cookie within the COOKIE ECHO (the addresses
that were present in the INIT) and using it.  So choose it an use it as
always.

For the association procedure, see RFC 2960 Section 5.2.4

 ftp://ftp.ietf.org/rfcs/rfc2960.txt

and the Implementation Guide, various sections,

 ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpimpguide-14.txt

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦