Subject: [Tsvwg] Comments on draft-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-02 (DSCP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 11:17:02 EDT

While still waiting for the Last Call to be formally announced via e-mail, 
here are some further comments:

Section 2.1 contains a paragraph beginning "This informs both the use of 
DSCPs..." This is confusing, partly because of the bad sentence structure. It is 
not clear what "this" refers to. I presume it should say: "This header informs 
the callee of which DSCP to use, which needs to be the same DSCP as the caller 
is using in order to obtain the same data path service. This header is also 
used to facilitate policy-based preemption of calls in progress when 
appropriate."

Any mention of DSCP should only be as one example of what might be done by 
the UA and network entities as a result of the precedence level of the call. In 
fact, there is no absolute requirement that both the caller and the callee 
must use the same value. I would suggest the following for this paragraph:

"The Resource Priority Header informs the callee UA and other network 
entities of the precedence level of the call or packet flow. It may be used by the UA 
to determine what DSCP value to use in media packets or other packet handling 
characteristics and it may be used by the UA and other network entities to 
facilitate policy-based preemption of calls in progress when appropriate."

Mike Pierce
Artel
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg