Subject: [Tsvwg] draft-larsen-tsvwg-port-randomization

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:04:51 +0200 (MESZ)

Hello all,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The concepts in this draft are likely relevant to most of our
> transport protocols, and hence would be in scope for TSVWG.
> The TSVWG chairs are interested in comments on whether there is
> group interest in this draft - please comment on [email-masked].
>
> Lars

As a sporadic reader of the group list, I already have performed
detailed reviews of the -00 submission and the -01 revision.

The draft presents an important building block in 'hardening'
transport protocols agains a certain class of attacks; it reports
on, and evaluates, existing implementation practice for the
randomization of ephemeral (client side) transport protocol
multiplexing selectors (port numbers), and it proposes advanced
algorithmic variants, weighing the computational effort and
resources needed.

The topic is well known in the security business since quite
long a time, but it has not been documented in any precise way
conforming to the IETF quality standards.  There are already
a couple of other I-Ds and public security recommendations
quoting this draft as a reference.

Besides all the intrinsic reasons to optimize implementation
practice in the 'hostile' Internet environment, there's one
important reason why this documentation should be done within,
and with the consensus of, the IETF: to make future standards
developers aware of widespread useful practice that should be
considered in future work, at least to avoid the creation of
new normative clauses making these practices nonconformant.

I strongly recommend to advance that draft -- and the best way
to do that is to endorse it on the wg agenda.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+-------------------------------------------From [email-masked] Sat Jun 09 06:04:53 2007
From: Alfred =?hp-roman8?B?SM5uZXM=?= <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 10:04:51 +0200 (MESZ)
Subject: [Tsvwg] draft-larsen-tsvwg-port-randomization

Hello all,

On Thu, 31 May 2007, Lars Eggert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> The concepts in this draft are likely relevant to most of our
> transport protocols, and hence would be in scope for TSVWG.
> The TSVWG chairs are interested in comments on whether there is
> group interest in this draft - please comment on [email-masked].
>
> Lars

As a sporadic reader of the group list, I already have performed
detailed reviews of the -00 submission and the -01 revision.

The draft presents an important building block in 'hardening'
transport protocols agains a certain class of attacks; it reports
on, and evaluates, existing implementation practice for the
randomization of ephemeral (client side) transport protocol
multiplexing selectors (port numbers), and it proposes advanced
algorithmic variants, weighing the computational effort and
resources needed.

The topic is well known in the security business since quite
long a time, but it has not been documented in any precise way
conforming to the IETF quality standards.  There are already
a couple of other I-Ds and public security recommendations
quoting this draft as a reference.

Besides all the intrinsic reasons to optimize implementation
practice in the 'hostile' Internet environment, there's one
important reason why this documentation should be done within,
and with the consensus of, the IETF: to make future standards
developers aware of widespread useful practice that should be
considered in future work, at least to avoid the creation of
new normative clauses making these practices nonconformant.

I strongly recommend to advance that draft -- and the best way
to do that is to endorse it on the wg agenda.

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+