Subject: [Tsvwg] Protocol Action: 'Specifying New Congestion Control Algorithms' to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:05:50 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Specifying New Congestion Control Algorithms '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-cc-alt-04.txt> as a BCP

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-cc-alt-04.txt

Technical Summary
 
   The IETF's standard congestion control schemes have been
   widely shown to be inadequate for various environments
   (e.g., high-speed networks). Recent research has yielded
   many alternate congestion control schemes. Using these new
   congestion control schemes in the global Internet has
   possible ramifications to both the traffic using the new
   congestion control and to traffic using the currently
   standardized congestion control. Therefore, the IETF must
   proceed with caution when dealing with alternate congestion
   control proposals. The goal of this document is to provide
   guidance for considering alternate congestion control
   algorithms within the IETF.
 
Working Group Summary
 
   The WG consensus on this document was clear, but not
   overwhelmingly strong.
 
Protocol Quality
 
   The document has been presented to the WG during several
   IETF meetings and has been reviewed by a number of key WG
   members. It has also been discussed in the IRTF's ICCRG and
   the wider research community.

Personnel

   Lars Eggert ([email-masked]) was the document
   shepherd and also reviewed this document for the IESG.