Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] UDP-Lite MIB - ready?

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:46:22 -0500

At 09:30 AM 5/31/2007, Lars Eggert wrote:
>On 2007-5-29, at 17:14, ext Gorry Fairhurst wrote:
>>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-renker-tsvwg-udplite- mib-02.txt
>>
>>We think this document is ready to be adopted as a WG document.
>
>The chairs would like to echo this request and start a consensus call
>for WG adoption. Please send comments by June 15.
>
>(My personal opinion is that we should take this on. UDP-Lite is one
>of our transport protocols, and we have some obligation to make sure
>it can be managed as part of the overall IETF management framework.)

(with my chair hat on)
I'd like to ping the WG about adopting this ID as a WG item.  Anyone 
*not* wanting this ID to become a WG item, please comment to the list 
by this Friday, June 15th.

(with my chair hat off)
I think this effort is a good thing to have, even if not everyone on 
this list is interested.  That's a reality in this WG, that it is a 
group of fairly individual projects (or protocols), and not one 
consensus drive protocol or mechanism (like other WGs enjoy).  That 
said, and as Lars points out, Transport protocols are the charter of 
this WG, and at least some in this WG should work to ensure a 
modification to an existing transport protocol or the creation of a 
new transport protocol is done with consistency within the IETF, with 
the opportunity for peer review by other community members of similar 
focus.  I believe this is one such case.

>Lars