Subject: Looking forward to your comments: Virtual machine/host migraiton in Data Center.

From: "Yingjie Gu(yingjie)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:56:41 +0800

Hi all,

We have sent a draft regarding virtual machine/host migration in Data Center
to OPSAWG. I guess people in TSV Area may also be interested in this
problem. Please review the attached draft for detail. 

Virtualization enables Data Center to improve their resource utility to 70%
or higher. Virtual machine migration enables even better resource utility
and better flexibility. A physical server is virtualized into several
virtual machines/hosts and the virtual machines can be migrate to any
location within the pre-designated area in the Data Center, or to a
different Data Center site, based on physical server status, network
conditions, application requirements or subscribers’ requirements. For
example, a part of network is experiencing badly packet loss. In order to
guarantee high priority services, the virtual machine hosting high priority
services are migrated to a place with better network performance.

Two parts of information need to be considered when migrate a virtual
machine: 1) software resource, such as OS and memory, on server side, and 2)
policies and dynamic information on network side. This draft is focus on 2).
Since the most important feature of Virtual machine migration is that the
running service should not be significantly interrupted, it’s quite
challenging on how to migrate the policies and dynamic information on
network side, within or between Data Center sites. 

Anyone who has any questions or comments, please post to the this thread.
The authors looks forward to your feedback. 

Best Regards

Yingjie Gu

  _____  

Gu Yingjie
华为技术有限公司 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Company_logo

Phone: 
Fax: 
Mobile: 
Email: 
地址：深圳市龙岗区坂田华为基地 邮编：518129
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
Bantian, Longgang District,Shenzhen 518129, P.R.China
http://www.huawei.com 

  _____  

本邮件及其附件含有华为公司的保密信息，仅限于发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群
组。禁
止任何其他人以任何形式使用（包括但不限于全部或部分地泄露、复制、或散发）本邮
件中
的信息。如果您错收了本邮件，请您立即电话或邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件！
This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from
HUAWEI, which 
is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any
use of the 
information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to,
total or partial 
disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the
intended 
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by 
phone or email immediately and delete it!