Subject: Assigning ports

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:27:30 +0200

(Ah wrong source e-mail address)

 Now that RFC6335 has been published, the IANA page on how to get a port
assigned
 has been updated (take a good book if you want to access it:-( but the text
 there leaves me confused.

 It says
 "System Ports are assigned by IETF process for standards-track protocols, as
per
 [RFC1340]"
 which, RFC1340 being ' Assigned Numbers. J. Reynolds, J. Postel. July 1992'
 confuses me.  Should this instead refer to RFC6335 or RFC5226? (I suspect that
 the former is the better reference even if to make sense of it you must access
 the latter).

 It also says
 "Service names are assigned on a first-come, first-served process, as
 documented in [RFC952]"
 which, RFC952 being ' DoD Internet host table specification. K. Harrenstien,
 M.K.
     Stahl, E.J. Feinler. October 1985. '
 also confuses me.   Should this instead refer to RFC6335 or RFC5226?

 Tom Petch