Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-12.txt> (Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Stream Reconfiguration) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 07:05:06 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document:
- 'Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) Stream Reconfiguration'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst-12.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2011-11-21. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Many applications that use SCTP want the ability to "reset" a stream.
   The intention of resetting a stream is to set the numbering sequence
   of the stream back to 'zero' with a corresponding notification to the
   upper layer that this has been performed.  The applications that want
   this feature want it so that they can "re-use" streams for different
   purposes but still utilize the stream sequence number so that the
   application can track the message flows.  Thus, without this feature,
   a new use of an old stream would result in message numbers greater
   than expected unless there is a protocol mechanism to "reset the
   streams back to zero".  This document also includes methods for
   resetting the transport sequence numbers, adding additional streams
   and resetting all stream sequence numbers.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-strrst/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.