Subject: Re: [tsvwg] draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf in the World IPv6 Launch day: 70% bandwidth saving

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 09:20:35 +0200

Hi all,

Today we are in the World IPv6 Launch day: http://www.worldipv6launch.org/

So I would like to share with the group some results I have deployed with
TCMTF, using IPv6. As everyone knows, the header of IPv6 is twice as big as
the one of IPv4. This can be seen as a problem for real-time services using
small packets, since the overhead is increased. Thus, header compressing
mechanisms are expected to become more and more interesting. One of the
three layers of TCMTF is header compression, and the savings achieved with
IPv6 are bigger than the ones obtained with IPv4. I attach a graph of the
bandwidth savings obtained when multiplexing and compressing
client-to-server flows of World of Warcraft, the most popular MMORPG in the
World. Up to 70 percent of the bandwidth can be saved, while adding a small
delay.

Best regards,

Jose

De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] En nombre de Jose
Saldana
Enviado el: martes, 29 de mayo de 2012 12:19
Para: [email-masked]
Asunto: [tsvwg] draft-saldana-tsvwg-tcmtf for World of Warcraft: 60%
bandwidth saving

Hi all,

Our research group has just got accepted a paper for a conference next July.
It presents the tests of TCMTF (the "tunnels draft") for the traffic of
World of Warcraft (an online game with 10 million players). This game uses
TCP/IP, and client-to-server headers can be compressed from 40 to 8.72 bytes
average, so this traffic can get a 60% reduction. The cause of these good
results is that the game also generates a high number of TCP ACK packets
without payload (56%). For them, the saving is very high: the compression is
applied to headers, and these packets are "only header". Two other MMORPG
games are also analyzed, and the savings are 40% and 45%. The saving is
lower for server-to-client traffic (8.5%, 22%, 20%).

The number of packets per second can also be reduced: if the traffic of 100
players is multiplexed,  pps can be reduced from 900 to 12.

We have also used a MOS estimator (based on delay and jitter) in order to
grant that subjective quality is not harmed.

I attach two (small) PDF graphs showing the savings.

Since it has not already been published, I have put the paper in my web
page, just in case somebody wants to have a look: 

http://diec.unizar.es/~jsaldana/personal/sergei_SPECTS_2012_in_proc.pdf

Best regards,

Jose Saldana