Subject: [tsvwg] WGLC draft-ietf-tsvwg-port-use-05 : David Black's comments (2 of 2)

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 23:45:00 +0000

I've now gone back and reviewed my concerns and comments on this
draft expressed as a WG chair.  I think this version of the draft
is ok wrt those concerns and comments.  Specifically:

-1- Relationship to RFC 6335

This is now clear.  The -05 draft says in both the Abstract and
Introduction that it does not modify RFC 6335, and the draft
Introduction now describes one purpose of this draft as providing
guidance to applicants for port numbers.

-2- Secure and non-secure ports

I'm satisfied with the text on allocation of secure and non-secure
ports in Section 7.4 that resulted from discussion on the list.

-3- Scarcity

On balance, I think the case has been made that continuing to treat
ports as a somewhat scarce resource is a good thing to do in order
to avoid future problems caused by running out of ports.  We do not
face a port availability crisis in the near future in part because of
the effective manner in which port assignment has been functioning,
so encouraging it to continue to function in that effective manner is
a good thing to do.  The current port assignment process does treat
ports as a somewhat scarce resource.

In addition, some of the more contentious text on this topic in the
-04 version has been removed or toned down in the -05 version.

-- Process note

Between the material on allocation of secure and non-secure ports,
the discussion of firewall interactions, and other matters, this draft
contains significantly more security material than is typical for
tsvwg drafts.  For that reason I'm going to suggest that we (WG chairs)
explicitly ask for a security directorate review of this draft after
the RFC Publication request is submitted (working with our ADs to
figure out exactly when that request should be made).

We may also want to explicitly ask for an applications directorate
review.

Thanks,
--David
----------------------------------------------------
David L. Black, Distinguished Engineer
EMC Corporation, 176 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
+1 (508) 293-7953             FAX: +1 (508) 293-7786
[email-masked]        Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754
----------------------------------------------------