Subject: [tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2015 09:36:03 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : UDP Usage Guidelines
    Author(s)     : L. Eggert, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis
    Pages         : 46 
    Date          : 2015-07-07 
    
   The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
   transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   applications, tunnels and other protocols that use UDP.  Congestion
   control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document also
   provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
   reliability, checksums, middlebox traversal, the use of ECN, DSCPs,
   and ports.

   Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
   Internet, applications and other protocols that choose to use UDP as
   an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion
   collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with concurrent
   traffic.  They may also need to implement additional mechanisms,
   depending on how they use UDP.

   Some guidance is also applicable to the design of other protocols
   (e.g., protocols layered directly on IP or via IP-based tunnels),
   especially when these protocols do not themselves provide congestion
   control.

   If published as an RFC, this document will obsolete RFC5405.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Ca By <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 10:10:00 -0700

Authors,

Thanks for this I-D. As you may know, the Internet is constantly under
massive ddos attacks, nearly 99% is udp

http://www.internetsociety.org/sites/default/files/01_5.pdf

http://conferences2.sigcomm.org/imc/2014/papers/p449.pdf

http://conference.apnic.net/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/58880/130226.apops-dns-rate-limit_1361839670.pdf

That said, I would much rather see a "udp consider harmful" I-d and may
write one myself.

My feedback for your I-d is to provide guidance that prevents udp from
being used in reflection / amplification  attacks like is the common case
today. I see these attacks everyday for 10s of gigs.  I rate limit pps and
bandwidth of udp today with static router configs. It is literally the only
way to stay up.

Thanks,
CB