Subject: [tsvwg] Fwd: New I-D: draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00.txt

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 16:18:31 +0100

tsvwg chairs & list.

Cross-posting this announcement to tsvwg, which owns all ECN and 
Diffserv maintenance issues.

If you were in Prague you may have seen this AQM demonstrated over a 
broadband Internet testbed. Here's the video 
<http://recordings.conf.meetecho.com/Playout/watch.jsp?recording=IETF93_AQM&chapter=chapter_1> 
(starts at about 33mins - your browser has to support HTML5).

In our extensive testing, this DualQ Coupled AQM exploits ECN and 
scalable TCP algos like Data Centre TCP (DCTCP) to give zero congestion 
loss and about 1ms queuing latency at the 98th percentile, even under 
high load. It is designed to allow DCTCP to co-exist with existing TCP 
Cubic & Reno, whether mixed within a data centre, on private networks or 
on the public Internet.

In the context of this draft, there's a conversation proceeding on the 
AQM list at the mo about ECT(1) vs Diffserv: i.e. what identifier is 
needed to distinguish this new form of ECN from RFC3168 ECN ; Subject: 
"ECT(1)"

We will need to have this conversation on tsvwg in due course. I think 
it will be best to aim to write down consensus on an ECN roadmap.

Cheers

Bob, Koen, Olga & Inton

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New I-D: draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00.txt
Date: 	Fri, 07 Aug 2015 15:46:35 +0100
From: 	Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
To: 	Scheffenegger, Richard <[email-masked]>, Wesley Eddy 
<[email-masked]>, AQM IETF list <[email-masked]>
CC: 	De Schepper, Koen (Koen) <[email-masked]>, 
TSANG Inton <[email-masked]>, Olga Bondarenko 
<[email-masked]>

AQM Chairs, list,

My co-authors and I have just posted a draft spec of the DualQ Coupled 
AQM we presented and demonstrated in Prague under the title "Data Centre 
to the Home" (see announcement quoted below).

*Invitation to reimplement / bash**
*We are not asking for adoption right now. But we would be happy if 
others tried to reimplement it using our description and to test it 
independently. We are trying to get approval from employers to release 
it as open source, but you will see that the pseudocode is only 15 
lines, so it should not be hard to reimplement.

The draft refers out to our 'under-submission' DCttH paper 
<http://www.bobbriscoe.net/projects/latency/dctth_preprint.pdf> 
reporting a selection of the thousands of experiments we did ourselves. 
We are preparing a tech report to record the rest.

Cheers

Bob, Koen, Olga & Inton.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00.txt
Date: 	Fri, 07 Aug 2015 06:41:15 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Koen De Schepper <[email-masked]>, Ing-jyh 
Tsang <[email-masked]>, Bob Briscoe 
<[email-masked]>, Olga Bondarenko <[email-masked]>, Koen De 
Schepper <[email-masked]>, Olga Bondarenko 
<[email-masked]>, Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Bob Briscoe and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled
Revision:	00
Title:		DualQ Coupled AQM for Low Latency, Low Loss and Scalable Throughput
Document date:	2015-08-07
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		22
URL:https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00.txt
Status:https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled/
Htmlized:https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-aqm-dualq-coupled-00

Abstract:
    Data Centre TCP (DCTCP) was designed to provide predictably low
    queuing latency, near-zero loss, and throughput scalability using
    explicit congestion notification (ECN) and an extremely simple
    marking behaviour on switches.  However, DCTCP does not co-exist with
    existing TCP traffic---throughput starves.  So, until now, DCTCP
    could only be deployed where a clean-slate environment could be
    arranged, such as in private data centres.  This specification
    defines `DualQ Coupled Active Queue Management (AQM)' to allow
    scalable congestion controls like DCTCP to safely co-exist with
    classic Internet traffic.  The Coupled AQM ensures that a flow runs
    at about the same rate whether it uses DCTCP or TCP Reno/Cubic, but
    without inspecting transport layer flow identifiers.  When tested in
    a residential broadband setting, DCTCP achieved sub-millisecond
    average queuing delay and zero congestion loss under a wide range of
    mixes of DCTCP and `Classic' broadband Internet traffic, without
    compromising the performance of the Classic traffic.  The solution
    also reduces network complexity and eliminates network configuration.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat