Subject: [tsvwg] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 01:07:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : UDP Usage Guidelines
        Authors         : Lars Eggert
                          Godred Fairhurst
                          Greg Shepherd
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-17.txt
	Pages           : 58
	Date            : 2016-09-14

Abstract:
   The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
   transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.  This
   document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers of
   applications, tunnels and other protocols that use UDP.  Congestion
   control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document also
   provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
   reliability, checksums, middlebox traversal, the use of ECN, DSCPs,
   and ports.

   Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
   Internet, applications and other protocols that choose to use UDP as
   an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion
   collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with concurrent
   traffic.  They may also need to implement additional mechanisms,
   depending on how they use UDP.

   Some guidance is also applicable to the design of other protocols
   (e.g., protocols layered directly on IP or via IP-based tunnels),
   especially when these protocols do not themselves provide congestion
   control.

   This document obsoletes RFC5405 and adds guidelines for multicast UDP
   usage.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-17

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-17

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/