Subject: [tsvwg] Protocol Action: 'Stream Schedulers and User Message Interleaving for the Stream Control Transmission Protocol' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 07:58:45 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Stream Schedulers and User Message Interleaving for the Stream Control
   Transmission Protocol'
  (draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-ndata/

Technical Summary

   The Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) is a message oriented
   transport protocol supporting arbitrarily large user messages.  This
   document adds a new chunk to SCTP for carrying payload data.  This
   allows a sender to interleave different user messages that would
   otherwise result in head of line blocking at the sender.  The
   interleaving of user messages is required for WebRTC Datachannels.

   Whenever an SCTP sender is allowed to send user data, it may choose
   from multiple outgoing SCTP streams.  Multiple ways for performing
   this selection, called stream schedulers, are defined.  A stream
   scheduler can choose to either implement, or not implement, user
   message interleaving.

Working Group Summary

   Nothing out of the ordinary.

Document Quality

   This document is one of several relating to WebRTC Datachannels, 
   and has received inputs from other related WGs.

    The FreeBSD kernel implementation and the userland stack usrsctp 
    (which shares most of the code) both support sending and receiving of 
    I-DATA chunks. An implementation of interleaving schedulers was planned
   for the IETF 99 timeframe.

Personnel

Who is the Document Shepherd?  Gorry Fairhurst

Who is the Responsible Area Director? Spencer Dawkins