Subject: [tsvwg] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-05.txt> (IANA Assignment of DSCP Pool 3 (xxxx01) Values to require Publication of a Standards Track or Best Current Practice RFC) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 08:08:27 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group WG
(tsvwg) to consider the following document: - 'IANA Assignment of DSCP Pool 3
(xxxx01) Values to require Publication
   of a Standards Track or Best Current Practice RFC'
  <draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry-05.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-05-25. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The Differentiated Services (Diffserv) architecture specifies use of
   a field in the IPv4 and IPv6 packet headers to carry Diffserv
   Codepoint (DSCP) values.  The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority
   (IANA) maintains a registry of assigned DSCP values.

   This update to RFC2474 changes the IANA assignment method for Pool 3
   of the registry (i.e., DSCP values of the form xxxx01) to Standards
   Action, i.e., values are assigned through a Standards Track or Best
   Current Practice RFC. The update also removes permission for
   experimental and Local Use of the Codepoints that form Pool 3 of the
   DSCP registry; Pool 2 Codepoints (i.e., DSCP values of the form
   xxxx11) remain available for these purposes.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-iana-dscp-registry/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

The document contains these normative downward references.
See RFC 3967 for additional information: 
    rfc3260: New Terminology and Clarifications for Diffserv (Informational - IETF stream)