Subject: IETF Mbone over DirecPC experiment

From: Yongguang Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:09:49 -0800

We are going to do an MBone over Satellite experiment in IETF-40.
We will tap into the Mbone and carry one IETF multicast channel over
DirecPC.  Any DirecPC user in the United States can run an Mbone
H.261 application to pick up the video/audio next week.

This is to demonstrate the concept of the satellite network
being the most suitable IP multicast backbone. It helps to
off-load congestions from the Internet and provides certain
QoS guarantee for multicast flows over the space segment.

The technical challenge of MBone over DirecPC includes
unidirectional link routing (UDLR WG) and the integration
with MBone infrastructure.

At HRL we will also compare the video/audio quality received from
DirecPC and from the normal MBone.  If you have the necessary
facility (DirecPC, and a connection to MBone) and are interested
in do the measurement at your end, please let me know.  I'm
interested in collected data from different part of the network.

More information, please see
http://www.wins.hrl.com/people/ygz/mbone-ietf40/.

I'd like to hear your comments and suggestion w.r.t. this.

Thanks!

Yongguang Zhang
UDLR WG co-chair

============================================================================
==
Yongguang Zhang, Ph.D., Research Staff Member (Computer Science)
Hughes
Research Labs, Inc., RL96, 3011 Malibu Canyon Rd, Malibu, CA 90265,
USA
[email-masked]   http://www.wins.hrl.com/people/ygz   +1-310-317-5147
(fax: 5695)