Subject: URN Namespace for Certificates (draft-seantek-certspec-00)

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 00:59:14 -0700

Greetings URN-NID Maintainers:

I'm Sean Leonard, representing both myself, and Penango, Inc. At 
Penango, we deal with certificates quite a bit.

I have submitted an Internet-Draft that provides a specification for 
Uniform Resource Names for digital (X.509/PKIX) certificates. As the 
Apps WG is in charge of URNs (and urnbis), I would like to pursue 
standardization here. PKIX folks will be notified, however, if they want 
to make any comments.

Filename:	 draft-seantek-certspec
Revision:	 00
Title:		 A Uniform Resource Name (URN) Namespace for Certificates
Creation date:	 2012-07-08
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 13
URL:http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-seantek-certspec-00.txt
Status:http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-seantek-certspec
Htmlized:http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-seantek-certspec-00

The goal of "certspec" is to provide uniform, permanent, textual formats 
for identifying individual certificates. Such a URN can then be passed 
to a resolver to retrieve the certificate in diverse ways. Additionally, 
such a URN can be stored by diverse applications and shared between 
applications without resorting to application-specific formats.

The Internet-Draft requests registration of "cert" as a URN NID.

I welcome any feedback or comments on this Internet-Draft.

Thank you,

Sean Leonard