Subject: [URN] VRML URN proposal for URN-IETF review

From: "Aaron E. Walsh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 18:18:14 -0400

Hello folks,

I chair the VRML Consortium's Universal Media Element Library
(VRML-UMEL) Working Group, whose charter is to create a cross-platform
library of media primitives (textures, sounds and 3D objects) for use by
Web 3D authors such as VRML and Java3D. We've recently drafted a
proposal to use URNs as our media referencing mechanism, which I'd like
to offer for your review.

Our "VRML URN Proposal" is available directly at:
  http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-umel/proposals/urn.html

Or through our homepage, where you can read more about UMEL:
  http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-umel/

We would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions regarding our use of
URNs for referencing library media elements, and look forward to hearing
from you. We've also begun coding Java URN classes for our prototypes,
which are available online if you're interested in our code-level work
with URNs:
   http://www.mantiscorp.com/vrml/umel/prototypes/java/urn.html

With best regards,

Aaron Walsh
  http://www.mantiscorp.com/people/aew/

Chair, VRML Universal Media Element Library (VRML-UMEL) Working Group
  http://www.vrml.org/WorkingGroups/vrml-umel/

Co-chair, VRML Intellectual Property Rights (VRML-IPR) Task Group 
  http://www.vrml.org/TaskGroups/vrml-ipr/