Subject: [URN] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 09:31:49 -0500

Note: This revision reflects comments received during the last call period.

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Uniform Resource Names Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: URI Resolution Services Necessary 
                          for URN Resolution
	Author(s)	: M. Mealling, R. Daniel
	Filename	: draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 28-Oct-98
	
Retrieving the resource identified by a Uniform Resource Identifier
(URI) [1] is only one of the operations that can be performed on a URI.
One might also ask for and get a list of other identifiers that are
aliases for the original URI or a bibliographic description of the
resource the URI denotes, for example. This applies to both Uniform
Resource Names (URNs) and Uniform Resource Locators (URLs). Uniform
Resource Characteristics (URCs) are discussed in this document but only
as descriptions of resources rather than identifiers.
 
A service in the network providing access to a resource may provide
one or some of these options, but it need not provide all of them. This
memo specifies an initial set of these operations that can be used to
describe the interactions provided by a given access service. It also
suggests guidelines that should be adhered to when those operations
are encoded in a protocol.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ftp.ietf.org
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-resolution-services-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.