Subject: RE: [URN] Summary of debate

From: Yves Arrouye <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 10:04:17 -0700

> 	3. one person has suggested reserving the 2-letter NIDs, AND
> 	   <two letter>"-"<anystring>, again only for future 
> consideration

If we still go with a URN having the syntax URN:NID:NAME-IN-THE-NAMESPACE
and if we want to provide countries with a reservation of NIDs that would
start with their two-letter country code, then I think we should keep 3. The
proposal to just reserve 2-letter NIDs sounds much less flexible given the
current resolution mechanism.

I think we could consider reserving only names whose prefix is an ISO
two-letter designation for a country (having a risk of conflict when new
countries arise), or just like we have x- reserved for experimental purposes
we could have a prefix reserved for countries or governmental organizations.
Why not say that gov- is reserved for governments, and that governments must
use prefixes like gov-us-, gov-fr- etc. when using the gov- prefix? We would
then reserve a single prefix but force governmental NIDs to follow a simple
structure.

Yves.