Subject: [URN] what the document editor heard

From: Leslie Daigle <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 15:42:43 -0400 (EDT)

Okay, from what I understand out of the messages I've seen (to myself,
and/or to the list), the plan is to go with:

        3. one person has suggested reserving the 2-letter NIDs, AND
           <two letter>"-"<anystring>, again only for future consideration

in an effort to recognize that these things MIGHT be useful, but clearly
more work needs to be done before there can be agreement as to HOW.

I propose changing the document from:

                A particular NID string is requested, and is assigned by IETF
                consensus (as defined in [IANA-CONSIDERATIONS]), with
                the additional constraints that the NID string must
                not start with "x-" (see Type I above) or "iana-" (see Type II
                above), is not already a registered NID, and is more
                than 2 letters long.

                ALL two-letter combinations are reserved for use
                as country code NIDs for eventual national registrations of
                URN namespaces.

to read:

                A particular NID string is requested, and is assigned by IETF
                consensus (as defined in [IANA-CONSIDERATIONS]), with
                the additional constraints that the NID string must

                        . not be an already-registered NID
                        . not start with "x-" (see Type I above)
                        . not start with "iana-" (see Type II above)
                        . not start with "XY-", where XY is any
                          combination of 2 ASCII letters  (see NOTE, below)
                        . be more than 2 letters long

                NOTE: ALL two-letter combinations, and two-letter combinations
                followed by "-" and any sequence of valid NID characters,  are 
                reserved for potential use as countrycode-based  NIDs for 
                eventual national registrations of URN namespaces.   The
                definition and scoping of rules for allocation of responsibility
                for such namespaces is beyond the scope of this document.

I'm certain this is not what everybody wants, but does it cover enough bases
to neither legislate something unworkable, nor close doors if other minds
than ours figure out what to do with them?

Assuming this is acceptable, I will make the change to the document and
submit it to the repository at the end of the week.

Leslie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    If cats had bumper stickers:                  Leslie Daigle
                                             
      "I wake for food."                          Bunyip Information Systems
                -- ThinkingCat                    (514) 875-8611
                                                  [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Larry Masinter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:02:58 PDT

> submit it to the repository at the end of the week.

Your proposed wording changes are fine with me. I think we've made some
progress, as well, in fleshing out the issues for a subsequent set of
guidelines for formal namespaces, including those that might be registered
on a national basis.

Larry