Subject: Protocol Action: Dynamic Delegation Discovery System (DDDS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:48:32 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts for publication as
Proposed Standards

 o Dynamic Delegation Discovery System (DDDS)
        <draft-ietf-urn-ddds-07.txt>

 o A DDDS Database Using The Domain Name System
        <draft-ietf-urn-dns-ddds-database-09.txt>

 o URI Resolution using the Dynamic Delegation Discovery System
        <draft-ietf-urn-uri-res-ddds-07.txt>

The IESG aslo approved publication of Dynamic Delegation Discovery
System (DDDS) Part One: The Comprehensive DDDS Standard
<draft-ietf-urn-ddds-toc-03.txt> as an Informational RFC.

Publication of these documents obsoletes RFC2915 and RFC2168.

These documents are the product of the Uniform Resource Names Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary

The DDDS defines an abstract algorithm for applying dynamically
retrieved string transformation rules to an application-unique
string. This means in reality that given some specific input string,
one can fetch transformation rules from a DDDS database, and by
applying them get the desired result. The key is that the DDDS
algorithm is abstract, and not dependent on any specific database or
protocol technology.

The second document specifies how DDDS can be implemented using the
domain name system, and the third how one DDDS database (for example
one using DNS) can be used for resolution of URI schemes.

Working Group Summary

The URN working group have been using NAPTR resource records
according to specifications in RFC 2915 and 2168. Experience from the
last couple of years have shown that the description needed to be
split and abstracted in the three parts we see here. The wg had
consensus for this solution.

Protocol Quality

The protocol was reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.

---

From: Michael Mealling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 12:09:52 -0400

Yes!

Thanks to everyone who helped with getting these documents finished.
The final reviews we had were very detailed and thorough. Being able
to get those kinds of comments with these documents showed dedication,
stamina and possibly insomnia.

Thanks!

-MM

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Michael Mealling        |      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
[email-masked]      |                              | http://www.neonym.net