Subject: [urn] New draft to deal with ISSNs and ISBNs (and, slightly, with NBNs) (draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-00)

From: John C Klensin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 15:41:28 -0400

Hi.

As a follow up to the Berlin discussions, input to 3406bis, and
some off-list discussions and thinking, Juha and I have put
together a new draft, draft-ietf-urnbis-ns-reg-transition-00.
It is short (6 pages total, about 3 or 4 of actual substance)
and pretty much self-explanatory.  As it notes, it makes some
assumptions about what will be in the next version of 3406bis.
A new version will be posted if adjustments are needed to
conform to that 3406bis-07 and WG discussions.

The draft is now in the posting queue, probably awaiting Andy's
signoff for posting with a WG draft name.

The tentative plan, as the draft indicates, is that this, in
combination with new templates, will replace the WG's
now-expired ISSN and ISBN URN specifications and IANA
registration and obsolete the RFCs on which they are based.  The
specification for NBNs will be updated and posted soon.

Awaiting your comments...

  john (and Juha)