Subject: [urn] draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-13 editorial comments

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2015 07:48:42 -0700

Editorial comments on draft-ietf-urnbis-rfc2141bis-urn-13:

Section 5.4:
(for example by cut and past techniques).

should read:
(for example by cut-and-paste techniques).

"cut and paste" behaves like an adjective, because they modify the noun 
"techniques" and act as a single idea. Therefore, the compound words 
should be hyphenated.

(semi-technical)
Section 6.1:
list item 4:

    4.  It MUST NOT start with "aa-", where "aa" is any combination of
        two ASCII letters and the hyphen is followed by something other
        than another hyphen.

should read something like:

    4.  It MUST NOT start with
                    ALPHA ALPHA "-" alphanum
        i.e., any combination of
        two ASCII letters and the hyphen, which is then followed by something other
        than another hyphen.

In that list, all quoted strings are literals except for list item 4. 
"aa-" is not actually a literal, so it is confusing.

Actually it is not clear to me what kind of rule is being articulated. 
Which are permitted, and which are prohibited, for formal URN NIDs:

br-
br--
br-a

?

Sean

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre - &yet <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 21:14:49 -0600

Hi Sean, thanks for reviewing the document.

> "techniques" and act as a single idea. Therefore, the compound words

Agreed.

>         two ASCII letters and the hyphen, which is then followed by

That is better. Even better would be this:

    4.  It MUST NOT start with ALPHA ALPHA "-", i.e., any string
        consisting of two letters followed by one hyphen.

However, that is really a special case of rule #5:

    5.  It MUST NOT start with the string "xn--" or any other string
        consisting of two letters followed by two hyphens.

Nevertheless I think it is fine to describe them separately.

> Which are permitted, and which are prohibited, for formal URN NIDs:

Prohibited according to the rephrased rule #4.

> br--

Prohibited according to rule #5.

> br-a

Prohibited according to the rephrased rule #4.

Peter

-- 
Peter Saint-Andre
https://andyet.com/

---

From: Sean Leonard <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 11:42:05 -0700

>> "techniques" and act as a single idea. Therefore, the compound words

OK.

> Nevertheless I think it is fine to describe them separately.

OK. Up to you (all).

> Prohibited according to the rephrased rule #4.

Thank you for clarifying.

Sean