Subject: Minutes of USWG mtg 12/00

From: April Marine <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:16:15 -0800 (PST)

User Service Working Group (USWG) Minutes
Monday, December 11, 2000
San Diego, CA

Minutes taken by: April Marine

1.	Area status - April Marine

Since there were several people new to the IETF at the meeting, April
gave a brief introduction of what the User Services Area was before
giving the status report on the area itself.  At this point, the area
was only one WG other than USWG itself, so the report didn't take
long.

2.	TERENA Update - Yuri Demchenko

Yuri gave a similar review of what TERENA is and the history of
cooperation between USV and several areas of effort in TERENA.

Of special interest is the update of the TERENA Guide to Network
Resource Tools (GNRT).  This popular guide is going to be updated in a
new way.  Rather than depending on two editors to understand the
entire range of tools the guide covers, there will be several
contributors, a review panel, and an editing subcontract.
Contributions are expected from all over Europe.  There is a
possibility the title will be changed to something like TERENA
Internet Users Guide to Tools and Services (TIUG).  The Guide can be
found online at http://www.terena.nl/gnrt/

Yuri also highlighted user issues that will be covered at the TERENA
Network Conference 2001 (TNC2001) to be held in Turkey.  He also discussed
a portal coordination workshop that continues the work of the CHIC group,
and a research indexing service for European NRENs (REIS).

3.	Update of the Tao of IETF: Susan Harris 

Detailed discussion of <draft-ietf-uswg-tao-01.txt> led by the editor,
Susan Harris.  She explained the origin and sources of the new
version.  A section by section feedback fest followed.  A new version
of the document will be done based on the feedback and then input will
be solicited from the Secretariat.

4.	Update of FYI 7 - Ray Plzak

No particular progress since last meeting, but Ray and his cohorts has
a meeting after the WG to plan a plot and a plot has been hatched.

5.	Update of User Glossary - Gary Malkin

Gary plans to update the User Glossary FYI.  He will post a message to
the list (again) soliciting input.  People should send him ideas for
inclusions, preferably actually with text explaining the suggested
term.