Subject: Last Call: The Tao of IETF - A Novice's Guide to the Internet Engineering Task Force to Informational

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 13:25:50 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the User Services Working Group to
consider The Tao of IETF - A Novice's Guide to the Internet Engineering
Task Force <draft-ietf-uswg-tao-02.txt> as a Informational.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by February 28, 2001.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-uswg-tao-02.txt

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:59:54 -0600

The author already knows this, but section 1.2.3 is *not* the version
prepared and agreed by the IAB. The current version is simply
inaccurate. The new version reads:

1.2.3 IAB (Internet Architecture Board) 

The IAB is chartered with a variety of tasks [BCP 39] but, as its name
suggests, its main responsibility is the "big picture" of the Internet. In
this role, it thinks about long range planning and coordination
between different areas of IETF activity, and pays attention to important
long-term issues in the Internet. It brings these issues to the
attention of anyone it thinks needs to know.

IAB members pay special attention to emerging activities in the IETF.
When a new IETF working group is proposed, the IAB reviews its
charter for architectural consistency and integrity. But prior to that
stage, IAB members are more than willing to discuss new ideas with
those proposing them.

The IAB sponsors and organizes the Internet Research Task Force 
(IRTF) [BCP 8].  

The IAB convenes invitational workshops to perform in-depth
reviews of particular architectural issues. Typically, the
workshop report will make recommendations to the IETF community 
and to the IESG.

Other roles assigned to the IAB are:

* approval of IESG nominations made by the Nominating Committee [BCP 10]
* acting as an appeals board for appeals against IESG actions
* appointment and oversight of the RFC Editor
* approval of the appointment of the IANA
* acting as an advisory body to the ISOC
* oversight of IETF liaisons with other standards bodies

Like the IESG, the IAB members are selected for multi-year positions 
by the nominating Committee [BCP 10], but approved by the Board of Trustees
of the ISOC.

The IAB's web site is linked from the IETF's home page.

   Brian

---

From: Susan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:34:53 -0500 (EST)

Yes, there was a mixup, and the wrong version went out for Last Call.
Brian, I edited your text slightly to match the style of the Tao, and the
new IAB text is now included in version .03.  Further comments are
welcome, and sorry for the confusion.

---

From: Susan Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 09:34:53 -0500 (EST)

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 17:00:45 -0600

It looks fine to me in the -03 version.

  Brian