Subject: [Uta] I-D Action: draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 06:27:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Using TLS in Applications WG of the IETF.

        Title           : SMTP Require TLS Option
        Author          : Jim Fenton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2017-08-07

Abstract:
   The SMTP STARTTLS option, used in negotiating transport-level
   encryption of SMTP connections, is not as useful from a security
   standpoint as it might be because of its opportunistic nature;
   message delivery is prioritized over security.  This document
   describes a complementary SMTP service extension, REQUIRETLS.  If the
   REQUIRETLS option is used when sending a message, it asserts a
   request on the part of the message sender to override the default
   negotiation of TLS, either by requiring that TLS be negotiated when
   the message is relayed, or by requesting that policy mechanisms such
   as SMTP STS and DANE be ignored when relaying a high priority
   message.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-uta-smtp-require-tls-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Leif Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 15:28:51 +0200

> This draft is a work item of the Using TLS in Applications WG of the IETF.

This submission got lost in my inbox until Jim poked me. I apologize!

	Cheers Leif

> _______________________________________________
> Uta mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uta
>

---

From: Jim Fenton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 12:05:49 -0700

The changes in this draft from the fenton -03 draft are relatively
minor, mostly consisting of some wording improvements suggested by Rolf
Sonneveld back in July. Other reviews are, of course, welcomed.

If anyone wants to look at the XML source or even submit pull requests,
the source is on GitHub at:

https://github.com/jimfenton/requiretls

-Jim