Subject: [Uta] Protocol Action: 'Cleartext Considered Obsolete: Use of TLS for Email Submission and Access' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-uta-email-deep-12.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 11:05:03 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Cleartext Considered Obsolete: Use of TLS for Email Submission and
   Access'
  (draft-ietf-uta-email-deep-12.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Using TLS in Applications Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adam Roach, Alexey Melnikov and Ben Campbell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-uta-email-deep/

Technical Summary

  This specification outlines current recommendations for use of
  Transport Layer Security (TLS) to provide confidentiality of email
  traffic between a mail user agent (MUA) and a mail submission or mail
  access server.

Working Group Summary

Discussion in the WG went through several iterations and the document went through
major restructure with respect to the initial submission.

Document Quality

The document accurately reflects consensus and closely matches much of current practice
for how mail services are operated. The WGLC went through with no opposition and clear
indication of consensus from the community.  There have been no expert reviews of the 
document and an ABNF expert review along with the secdir review would be useful.

Personnel

  Shepherd: Leif Johansson (WG chair)
  AD: Alexey Melnikov