Subject: Re: [Uta] Proposed draft

From: Loganaden Velvindron <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 14:24:27 +0400

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 3:12 PM Loganaden Velvindron
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Dear UTA folks,
>
> Please find the link here
> (https://www.ietf.org/id/draft-lvelvindron-tls-for-email-00.txt)  for
> the draft for Switching the minimum requirement for TLS in mail from
> TLS 1.1 to TLS 1.2. This is inline with what is happening here:
> https://github.com/tlswg/oldversions-deprecate/blob/master/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate.txt
> where TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 are deprecated.
>
>
> Feedback welcome.
>

ping.

> Kind regards,
> //Logan
> C-x-C-c

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 21:53:11 -0400

Mostly just nits/style comments assuming that this moves as fast as ID.tls-oldversions-deprectate.

0) Add updates header “Updates: RFC8314”

1) Title

TLS is now in the RFC editor’s abbreviations list so the title can now be:
    Use of TLS for Email Submission and Access

1) Introduction

r/recommended for/recommended version for

r/draft-ietf-tls-oldversions-deprecate/[ID.tls-oldversions-deprectate]
and add normative reference to:
[ID.tls-oldversions-deprectate] Moriarty, Farrell

2) If I were doing this I would do and OLD/NEW style as below. For the shorter changes, you don’t need it but for the s5 and s5.1 changes I was like what one earth are they changing.  E.g.:

Table of Contents

OLD:

   4.1.  Deprecation of Services Using Cleartext and TLS Versions Less
   Than 1.1

NEW:

   4.1.  Deprecation of Services Using Cleartext and TLS
   Versions Less Than 1.2

Section 4

OLD:

   As soon as practicable, MSPs currently supporting Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
   2.x, SSL 3.0, or TLS 1.0 SHOULD transition their users to TLS 1.1 or
   later and discontinue support for those earlier versions of SSL and
   TLS.”

NEW:

   As soon as practicable, MSPs currently supporting Secure
   Sockets Layer (SSL) 2.x, SSL 3.0, or TLS 1.0 SHOULD transition their
   users to TLS 1.2 or later and discontinue support for those earlier
   versions of SSL and TLS.

etc.

3) s5 changes

I’d just change the sentences:

OLD:

   If, however, an MUA
   provides such an indication, it MUST NOT indicate confidentiality for
   any connection that does not at least use TLS 1.1 with certificate
   verification and also meet the minimum confidentiality requirements
   associated with that account.

NEW:

   If, however, an MUA
   provides such an indication, it MUST NOT indicate confidentiality for
   any connection that does not at least use TLS 1.2 with certificate
   verification and also meet the minimum confidentiality requirements
   associated with that account.

4) Terminology Section

Since you do have 2119 language and you want to avoid the ID-nits you probably need a “Terminology Section” with the following text:

   The key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED", "SHALL", "SHALL NOT",
   "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "NOT RECOMMENDED", "MAY", and
   "OPTIONAL" in this document are to be interpreted as described in
   BCP 14 [RFC2119] [RFC8174] when, and only when, they appear in all
   capitals, as shown here.

5) A little love for tls1.3

So like we published 1.3 so it can’t hurt to add the reference:

r/MUAs MUST implement TLS 1.2 [RFC5246] or later/MUAs MUST
implement TLS 1.2 [RFC5246] or later, e.g., TLS 1.3 [RFC8446]

6) References

Since you’re downgrading 1.1 should we move it to an informative reference?

Again to avoid ID-nits I guess add 1.1 as an informative and TLS 1.2 and 1.3 as normative?

7) Sec Cons

I’d probably add something like see [ID.tls-oldversions-deprectate] for why 1.1 is being deprecated. 

spt

> On Oct 2, 2018, at 06:24, Loganaden Velvindron <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Uta mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/uta

---

From: Loganaden Velvindron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 17:12:21 +0400

Thank you Sean. I will update the document and upload it.

---

From: Loganaden Velvindron <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 17:48:01 +0400

I've uploaded it here:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lvelvindron-tls-for-email-02.

I'm looking forward to more feedback.
On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM Loganaden Velvindron