Subject: [v4v6interim] Translation-based IPv4/IPv6 interworking for IPv4 networks

From: Christian Vogt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 05:41:59 -0400

Dear all,

Alain and I have worked on a translation-based IPv4/IPv6 interworking
method that we would like to share with you.  This method is for
deployment in IPv4-only networks, and in this regard differs from many
of the existing translation-based interworking methods that are for
deployment in IPv6 networks.  The main advantage of IPv4-side deployment
is that no extra, globally unique IPv4 addresses are required.

You find Alain's and my proposal here:
http://users.piuha.net/chvogt/pub/2008/virtual-ip6-connectivity.txt

In the early days of IPv6 introduction, the responsibility for IPv4/IPv6
interworking must clearly be on the side of the new IPv6 networks, for
incentives reasons.  But interworking will become increasingly important
also for IPv4 networks as IPv6 gets more prevalent.  IPv4-side
interworking methods will then be useful.  Furthermore, IPv4-side
interworking can already today solve some of the key problem scenarios,
namely those involving IPv6 clients and IPv4 servers in the absence of a
unique global IPv4 addresses for each server.

We realize we are submitting this very late -- and I could myself not
even participate in the discussion around tunneling-based interworking
yesterday.  I wish that had been different.  But perhaps our document
can still provide a bit of valuable input for today's discussion.

- Christian, for Alain and Christian

_______________________________________________
v4v6interim mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v4v6interim