Subject: Re: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-cases-02.txt

From: Ronald van der Pol <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 14:00:14 +0100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 23:59:42 -0500, Bound, Jim wrote:

> I believe this is ready for IESG review. 

Agreed.

	rvdp

---

From: "Fischer, Christine A (Chris)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:32:11 -0600

Comments from Chris Fischer on Transition Scenarios for 3GPP Networks

Section 2, last paragraph: It might be useful to include a reference to 3GPP TS 23.221, "Architectural requirements", which shows the transition scenarios for 3GPP.

Section 3.1, third paragraph: change "comprised of" to "comprising"

Section 3.2, under I-CSCF:  typo on "operator's"
same section: change "an 3GPP" to "a 3GPP"

Section 4.1, item 1), last paragraph: You may want to add a comment that this may require the use of NAT on external interfaces, when appropriate.  Also, a comment that the placement and handling of DNS servers for IPv4 / IPv6 communication has not been included in these scenarios.

Section 4.1, item 4): Please define intent of the boxes marked by "x".  Are these IPv4 networks or transition gateways?

Page 10, under Acknowledgements:  There is an unknown character after Sipil.

-----Original Message-----
From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, February 17, 2003 11:05 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-cases-02.txt

Hi All,

This is a WG Last Call for comments on sending the 3GPP scenarios
document to the IESG for consideration as an Informational RFC:

Title:     Transition Scenarios for 3GPP Networks
Filename:  draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-cases-02.txt
Editor:    J. Soininen
Date:      January 2003

The document can be found at:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-cases-02.txt

Abstract

    This document describes different scenarios in Third Generation
    Partnership Project (3GPP) defined packet network, i.e. General
    Packet Radio Service (GPRS) that would need IP version 6 and IP
    version 4 transition. The focus of this document is on the scenarios
    where the User Equipment (UE) connects to nodes in other networks,
    e.g. in the Internet. GPRS network internal transition scenarios,
    i.e. between different GPRS elements in the network, are out of scope
    of this document.

    The purpose of the document is to list the scenarios for further
    discussion and study.

Since this is the first WG last call that we have had in the v6ops
WG, we would like to remind you of the process that we discussed for
WG last calls when we started this WG.

The WG Last Call is a final check that the WG has rough consensus
to advance the document to the IESG.  Advancing a document to the
IESG indicates that the WG believes that this document is both
technically sound and useful.  It also indicates that we believe
that the document meets all of the requirements for publication
as an RFC.

To pass WG last call, this document must be reviewed and actively
supported by a significant number of people, including experts in
all applicable areas, or it will not be sent to the IESG.

Silence does NOT indicate consent during this phase.

So, please review this document carefully, and send your feedback
to the list, indicating whether or not you believe that this
document is ready to go to the IESG.  Unless sufficient support
is demonstrated on the list, the document will not be send to
the IESG.

Thanks,
Margaret, Itojun and Bob
v6ops WG Chairs

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:24:38 +0200

Hello, Chris!

I was glad to receive comments on our draft - many thanks! Some comments with 'JW' below.

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Fischer, Christine A (Chris) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 10 March, 2003 21:32

 JW: Yep, we can consider doing that. In 23.221, section 5.2 there is a short description on "Interoperability between IPv4 and IPv6 networks." However, we are describing the scenarios more precisely in this 3GPP v6ops document.

 JW: OK!

 JW: Yes to both. The first one seems to be a non-ASCII char.

 JW: That sounds like a good proposal. At least the NAT usage should be mentioned.

 JW: The boxes marked with "?" show that some functionality in the network would be needed to make this kind of communication possible. The needed functionality (e.g. an ALG or a protocol translator) is then described in the "3GPP analysis" document. However, it might be useful to write 1-2 sentences on the "?" box functionality also in this document...

 JW: Yes, we shall make him Mr. Sipila. :-)

Cheers,
	-Juha W.-

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 17:06:10 +0200

Hi, Alain and Suresh!

Thanks for your comments!

We will do some rewording for that text. We have noticed that not all scenarios are relevant (those are mainly commented in the '3GPP analysis' document).

Cheers,
	-Juha W.-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Suresh K Satapati [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 13 March, 2003 20:47
To: BAUDOT Alain FTRD/DMI/CAE
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-v6ops-3gpp-cases-02.txt

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, BAUDOT Alain FTRD/DMI/CAE wrote:

> I've been rather surprised by the last paragraphe of section 2 :
>
> "These scenarios may or may not be found feasible, or even likely in
> further study."
>
> One may be confused since one may understand scenarios have nothing to
> do with reallity. It maybe rephrased stating that the scenarios match
> real cases and that a subset of them are likely to be met in a given
> architecture.

I share the same concern..

-Suresh

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 04:32:44 +0200

Hi, Alain!

Thanks for your comments! Finally replying to you...

-----Original Message-----
From: ext BAUDOT Alain FTRD/DMI/CAE
[mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 13 March, 2003 18:45

First paragraphe of section 2 :

"The scope of this document is to describe the possible transition 
   scenarios in the 3GPP defined GPRS network where a UE connects to, or
   is contacted from, the Internet or another UE. The document describes
   scenarios with and without the usage of the SIP based IP Multimedia 
   Core Network Subsystem (IMS).   "

Since the abstract specifies that "The focus of this document is on the
scenarios where the User Equipment (UE) connects to nodes in other
networks, e.g. in the Internet.", it is no clear to me wether the other
UE may be connected to the same network than the UE initiating the
connection, or not.

 JW: The other UE can be connected to the same network or then to a different network. 
We are not making limitations in this document. (note that the peer node can be any node, 
e.g. an application server).

 JW: Yep, we will make some rewording (as I already commented on the list).

Last, second paragraph section 4.1 : 

"Transition scenarios of the GPRS internal interfaces are outside of the
scope of this document." 

I guess this is because the UE has limited ressources and that running
internal transition mechanism is likely to be avoided. I wonder in that
case if it should explicitly specified.

 JW: This comment is related to the 3GPP architecture. As you probably
know, we have two IP layers there, let's call them user IP layer and
network IP layer. We only analyze the (upper) user IP layer here and do not
analyze the network IP layer. That means that e.g. the IP layer between the SGSN 
and the GGSN is out of scope.

I hope this helps a bit.

 JW: Certainly - many thanks!

Cheers,
	 -Juha W.