Subject: RE: Last Call: 'Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs' to Proposed Standard (fwd)

From: "Karen E. Nielsen (AH/TED)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:16:30 +0200

I have trouble reading the following part of Section 5.4.1:

   "The relay then checks if there is an entry for this IPv6 address in
   the list of recent Teredo peers, and if the entry is still valid.
   The relay then performs the following:
   
   1) If there is an entry for that IPv6 address in the list of peers,
   and if the status of the entry is set to "trusted", the IPv6 packet
   should be sent over UDP to the mapped IPv4 address and mapped UDP
   port of the entry. The client updates the date of last transmission
   in the peer entry.
   
   2) If the destination is a Teredo IPv6 address in which the cone bit
   is set to 1, the packet is sent over UDP to the mapped IPv4 address
   and mapped UDP port extracted from that IPv6 address.
   
   3) If the destination is a Teredo IPv6 address in which the cone bit
   is set to 0, the packet is queued. The Teredo relay creates a bubble
   whose source address is set to a local IPv6 address, and whose
   destination address is set to the Teredo IPv6 address of the
   packet's destination. The bubble is sent to the non-null server
   address corresponding to the Teredo destination. The packet will be
   de-queued and forwarded when a bubble or another packet will be
   received from this IPv6 address; if no such packet is received
   before a time-out of 2 seconds, the Teredo relay may repeat the
   bubble, up to three times.
   
   In cases 2 and 3, the Teredo relay should create a peer entry for
   the IPv6 address; the entry status is marked as trusted in case 2
   (cone NAT), not trusted in case 3. In case 3, if the Teredo relay
   happens to be located behind a non-cone NAT, it should also send a
   bubble directly to the mapped IPv4 address and mapped port number of
   the Teredo destination; this will "open the path" for the return
   bubble from the Teredo client."

Is 1) what is performed if a valid entry exists and 2) and 3) what is performed
if a valid entry doesn't exists ?

Further what happens when the bubble attempts in 3) fail ?

Editorial:
In second paragraph on page 31, "Teredo Server" should be replaced
by "Teredo Relay", I suppose.

BR, Karen
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Pekka Savola
> Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 7:31 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Last Call: 'Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs' to
> Proposed Standard (fwd)
> 
> 
> FYI.
> 
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:48:50 -0400
> From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Reply-To: [email-masked]
> To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Last Call: 'Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs' to
>     Proposed Standard 
> 
> The IESG has received a request from an individual submitter 
> to consider the 
> following document:
> 
> - 'Teredo: Tunneling IPv6 over UDP through NATs'
>    <draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2004-10-20.
> 
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-huitema-v6ops-teredo-02.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
> 
>