Subject: RFC 3964 on Security Considerations for 6to4

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 13:29:44 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         RFC 3964

         Title:      Security Considerations for 6to4
         Author(s):  P. Savola, C. Patel
         Status:     Informational
         Date:       December 2004
         Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
         Pages:      41
         Characters: 83360
         Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

         I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-6to4-security-04.txt

         URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3964.txt

The IPv6 interim mechanism 6to4 (RFC3056) uses automatic
IPv6-over-IPv4 tunneling to interconnect IPv6 networks.  The
architecture includes 6to4 routers and 6to4 relay routers, which
accept and decapsulate IPv4 protocol-41 ("IPv6-in-IPv4") traffic
from any node in the IPv4 internet.  This characteristic enables a
number of security threats, mainly Denial of Service.  It also makes
it easier for nodes to spoof IPv6 addresses.  This document discusses
these issues in more detail and suggests enhancements to alleviate the
problems.

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

         To: [email-masked]
         Subject: getting rfcs

         help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.