Subject: Request for review: draft-huston-ip6-iana-registry-01.txt

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:20:11 -0800

I would like to draw your attention to the following draft:

draft-huston-ip6-iana-registry-01.txt

This draft was recently written by Geoff Huston with the assistance of
Kurt Lindqvist, Thomas Narten, Paul Wilson, David Kessens, Bob Hinden
and Brian Haberman.

The document proposes a revised format for the IANA IPv6 address
registry. The proposed format brings the address registry into
alignment with the current IPv6 Address Architecture specification, as
well as aligning it to the format used for the IPv4 address registry.
      
We would very much welcome your comments to improve this document.

Thanks,      

David Kessens
---

---

From: Jeroen Massar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 09:53:27 +0100

> draft-huston-ip6-iana-registry-01.txt

Good idea, flipping through it quickly doesn't reveal any issues either.
One thing that might be a good idea though is that IANA offers a whois
service which gives a referral to the real whois registry for that
prefix. This would allow one to simply have a client that does something
in the form of:

8<------------------------------------------
$ whois -h whois.iana.org 2001:db8::1

inet6num:     2001:0DB8::/32
remarks:      RIR: APNIC
remarks:      RFC: RFC 3849
referral:     whois.apnic.net
------------------------------------------>8

The huge advantage: client implementors won't ever have to update their
clients again, because the question can be asked to the central registry
which only outputs a few lines, thus should not be a huge load either.

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:22:28 +0200 (EET)

(co-chair hat on)

Folks,

This is a very short document (a couple of pages only), so if you have
comments, please provide them before the start of the holiday season,
within about a week.

(hat off)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Alain Durand <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 00:10:52 -0800

>      [3] The IPv6 Unicast space encompasses the entire IPv6 address 
range
          with the exception of FF00::/8.

This note is good, but I think it might help if in the table in section 
2
it was made very clear that the 'Reserved by IETF' allocations were
global unicast addresses and not something unspecified.

	- Alain.