Subject: v6ops draft charter

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:41:05 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

(co-chair hat on)

The following draft charter was put forward for pre-review of the IESG 
and IAB a couple of weeks ago.  At the start of January, our AD will 
re-evaluate it and possibly send it to IETF-wide review, or request 
changes.

So, if you have final comments on the charter, please raise try to 
raise them in about two weeks or so (by 3-4 January).

(hat off)

====
Description of Working Group:

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an IPv4/IPv6
Internet consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only and IPv4/IPv6 networks and
nodes.  This deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division
of the Internet into separate IPv4 and IPv6 networks while ensuring
addressing and connectivity for all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the
operation of a shared IPv4/IPv6 Internet and provides guidance for
network operators on how to deploy IPv6 into existing IPv4-only
networks, as well as into new network installations.

The main focus of the v6ops WG is to look at the immediate
deployment issues; more advanced stages of deployment and transition
are a lower priority.

The goals of the v6ops working group are:

1. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify
   operational issues with the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, and
   determine solutions or workarounds to those issues.  These issues
   will be documented in Informational or BCP RFCs, or in
   Internet-Drafts.

   This work should primarily be conducted by those areas and WGs
   which are responsible and best fit to analyze these problems, but
   v6ops may also cooperate in focusing such work.

2. Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that identify potential security
   risks in the operation of shared IPv4/IPv6 networks, and document
   operational practices to eliminate or mitigate those risks.

   This work will be done in cooperation with the Security area and
   other relevant areas or working groups.

3. As a particular instance of (1) and (2), provide feedback to
   the IPv6 WG regarding portions of the IPv6 specifications that
   cause, or are likely to cause, operational or security concerns,
   and work with the IPv6 WG to resolve those concerns.  This feedback
   will be published in Internet-Drafts or RFCs.

4. Publish Informational or BCP RFCs that identify and analyze solutions
   for deploying IPv6 within common network environments, such as
   ISP Networks (including Core, HFC/Cable, DSL & Dial-up networks),
   Enterprise Networks, Unmanaged Networks (Home/Small Office), and
   Cellular Networks.

   These documents should serve as useful guides to network
   operators and users on possible ways how to deploy IPv6 within their
   existing IPv4 networks, as well as in new network installations.

   These documents should not be normative guides for IPv6 deployment,
   and the primary intent is not capture the needs for new solutions,
   but rather describe which approaches work and which do not.

IPv6 operational and deployment issues with specific protocols or
technologies (such as Applications, Transport Protocols, Routing
Protocols, DNS or Sub-IP Protocols) are the primary responsibility of
the groups or areas responsible for those protocols or technologies.
However, the v6ops WG may provide input to those areas/groups, as
needed, and cooperate with those areas/groups in reviewing solutions
to IPv6 operational and deployment problems.

Specifying any protocols or transition mechanisms is out of scope of
the WG.

Goals and Milestones:

  Nov 04	 Adopt document describing how to use IPsec with draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2 as WG item
  Nov 04  Adopt document describing issues with NAT-PT as WG item
  Dec 04  Adopt IPv6 Security Overview as WG item
  Dec 04  Adopt IPv6 deployment using VLANs as WG item
  Jan 05  Adopt ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access Networks as WG item
  Jan 05  Adopt IPv6 Network Architecture Protection as WG item
  Feb 05  Ensure draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault keeps going forward for RFC publication
  Feb 05  Submit IPv6 deployment using VLANs to IESG for Info
  Mar 05  Submit document on IPsec w/ draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2 to IESG for Info
  Mar 05  Submit document describing issues with NAT-PT to IESG for Info
  Apr 05  Submit Enterprise Deployment Analysis to IESG for Info
  Apr 05  Submit IPv6 Network Architecture Protection to IESG for Info
  May 05  Submit IPv6 Security Overview to IESG for Info
  May 05  Submit ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access Networks to IESG for Info
========