Subject: TCP/UDP relay vs. SOCKS64

From: "CTO YAN Renxiang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:01:30 +0800

Hi, all,

Both TCP/UDP relay and SOCKS64 are implemented by forwarding connection to a relay server.
TCP/UDP relay is forwarded by router, and relay in relay server. 
SOCKS64 is forwarded in source host, and relay in SOCKS64 server.

Does anyone can tell the essential differences between this two mechanism?
They can be used in which kind of different cases?

Another issue is: 

In RFC 3142, it states: 

   TRT is designed to require no extra modification on IPv6-only
   initiating hosts, nor that on IPv4-only destination hosts. 

but in fact, the host is required modification, e.g. DNS resolver. 

-Renxiang

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 10:21:09 +0200 (EET)

> They can be used in which kind of different cases?

The most fundamental difference is that socks requires the application 
to be "socksified" by a modification or a library.  TCP/UDP does not.

> but in fact, the host is required modification, e.g. DNS resolver.

Modification is not needed on the *host* _itself_, it can also be done 
in the DNS resolver.

And there is no change needed if TRT is used for specific services 
only, i.e., the IPv6 addresses of the services are entered in the DNS 
manually.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: [email-masked] (Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino)
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 10:44:12 +0900 (JST)

> but in fact, the host is required modification, e.g. DNS resolver. 

	nope.  DNS resolver does not need to be modified.  cache DNS server
	needs to synthesize records, and clients need to use specific cache
	DNS server (which does synthesize).

itojun