Subject: Internal WG Review: Recharter of IPv6 Operations (v6ops) - version 2

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 11:07:00 +0900

A new charter for the IPv6 Operations (v6ops) working group in the 
Operations and Management Area of the IETF is being considered. The 
draft charter is provided below for your review and comment.

Review time is one week.

The IETF Secretariat

+++

IPv6 Operations (v6ops)
=========================

Last Modified: 2005-4-19

Current Status: Active Working Group

Description of Working Group:

The global deployment of IPv6 is underway, creating an IPv4/IPv6 
Internet consisting of IPv4-only, IPv6-only, IPv6-dominant (e.g., IPv6 
networks that also use IPv4 internally but offer restricted or no IPv4 
services to client networks) and IPv4/IPv6 networks and nodes. This 
deployment must be properly handled to avoid the division of the 
Internet into separate IPv4 and IPv6 networks while ensuring addressing 
and connectivity for all IPv4 and IPv6 nodes.

The IPv6 Operations Working Group (v6ops) develops guidelines for the 
operation of a shared IPv4/IPv6 Internet and provides operational 
guidance on how to deploy IPv6. Additional requirements requiring 
protocol development, including transition strategies, are referred to 
other appropriate working groups.

The goals of the v6ops working group are:

1. Solicit input from network operators and users to identify 
operational issues with the IPv4/IPv6 Internet, and determine solutions 
or workarounds to those issues.

2. In cooperation with the Security Area or other relevant working 
groups or areas, identify and document potential security risks in the 
operation of shared IPv4/IPv6 networks, and document operational 
practices to eliminate or mitigate those risks.

3. Provide feedback to the IPv6 WG regarding portions of the IPv6 
specifications that cause, or are likely to cause, operational or 
security concerns, and work with the IPv6 WG to resolve those concerns.

4. Identify, analyze, and document solutions for deploying IPv6 within 
common network environments, such as ISP Networks, Enterprise Networks, 
Unmanaged Networks (Home/Small Office), and Cellular Networks.

Any document resulting from this working group should serve as a useful 
guide to network operators and users on recommended ways to deploy, 
operate, and maintain IPv6 technology in their networks. As such, these 
documents shall be Informational or BCP RFCs.

Goals and Milestones:

Done 	Submit IPv6 deployment using VLANs to IESG for Info
Done 	Submit ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access Networks 
as WG item
Done 	Submit document describing how to use IPsec with 
draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2 as WG item
Done 	Submit IPv6 Network Architecture Protection as WG item

Apr 05 	Submit IPv6 Security Overview as WG item
Apr 05 	Submit document describing issues with NAT-PT to IESG for Info
Apr 05 	Submit IPv6 deployment using VLANs to IESG for Info

May 05 	Submit document on IPsec w/ draft-ietf-v6ops-mech-v2 to IESG 
for Info

Jun 05 	Submit Enterprise Deployment Analysis to IESG for Info
Jun 05 	Submit IPv6 Network Architecture Protection to IESG for Info

Jul 05 	Submit IPv6 Security Overview to IESG for Info
Jul 05 	Submit ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access 
Networks to IESG for Info
Jul 05 	Submit draft-ietf-v6ops-onlinkassumption and 
draft-ietf-v6ops-v6onbydefault to the
    		IESG in coordination with the ipv6 WG's draft-ietf-ipv6-2461bis

Aug 05	Submit draft-ietf-v6ops-secure-tunnels to the IESG for BCP 
status.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:13:18 +0200

I think this is OK - there will presumably be some
complaints that "my favorite mechanism isn't in the
charter" - but I think that is the way it needs to be.

   Brian

Fred Baker wrote:
> Done     Submit ISP IPv6 Deployment Scenarios in Broadband Access 
> Networks as WG item

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:30:26 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Fred Baker wrote:
> A new charter for the IPv6 Operations (v6ops) working group in the Operations 
> and Management Area of the IETF is being considered. The draft charter is 
> provided below for your review and comment.

The charter is significantly shorter than the previous proposals. 
That's both a good and bad thing, if some important points would be 
lost.  From my perspective, the charter at the moment may not be clear 
enough on the following:

  - the main focus of the WG.  Are we looking at v6-only as well as 
dual-stack?  (I think our main focus should be on dual stack..)  Not 
putting this into the charter might bring distractions..

  - where the bulk of the work relating to other areas (like routing 
protocols, transport, etc.) belongs.  We may not want to get that 
here..  In particular, in goal 1, I don't think v6ops is qualified to 
identify the _appropriate_ solutions to issues in other protocols..

  - what it takes to take new WG items (and to keep it as such).

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings