Subject: DNS and IPv6 (transition)

From: Bilajbegovic Damir <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 13:30:06 +0200

Hi,
	The question is little bit offtopis but I hope that you will forgive
me. 

DNS responce contain additional records there could be some additional
informations that DNS server sends to the client. The case is that DNS is
dual stack and the user is the IPv4 only (it does not know what IPv6 is). In
the additional informations is part with IPv6 address and AAAA. Will the
client ignore such information if it does not know what they are (and not so
importannt) or what?
	Best Regards,
		Damir

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 02:46:05 +0300 (EEST)

> client ignore such information if it does not know what they are (and not so

"DNS is dual stack" is not specific enough.

The DNS server doesn't send anything that the user's application 
(through a resolver) does not request.  [Note that an application can 
request PF_UNSPEC even if IPv6 was not enabled, which results in 
getaddrinfo() obtaining both A and AAAA results.]

I suggest you study draft-ietf-dnsop-ipv6-dns-issues-10.txt -- it
should provide the pointers to answer your DNS query. :)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings