Subject: RE: draft-ietf-v6ops-nap-00.txt & NAT security [2.2]

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:58 -0700

> For example, as I mentioned, modern OSes have firewalling out of the
> box. From what I'm aware of, the only component missing, at least in
the
> commercial space i.e., products you can buy, for scalable host based
> firewalling is mechanisms to deploy the (corporate) firewalling policy
> to the host. 

Actually, the firewall in Windows XP/SP2 "professional" can be
controlled by "group policy", automatically applying the firewall policy
defined by the (windows) domain administrator.

-- Christian Huitema

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:22:16 +0930

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 22:22:58 -0700

> defined by the (windows) domain administrator.

That's interesting, I wasn't aware of that. With MS's market share, I
suppose that that means that end-node firewall policy deployment is
already "mainstream".

Thanks,
Mark.

-- 

    The Internet's nature is peer to peer.

---

From: Mohacsi Janos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 10:22:03 +0200 (CEST)

> suppose that that means that end-node firewall policy deployment is

I agree, but capabilities of Windows XP+SP2 firewall are rather limited. 
You can control only incoming traffics and there is no stateful 
capabilities, that helps you a lot.

Regards,

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 00F9AF98: 8645 1312 D249 471B DBAE  21A2 9F52 0D1F 00F9 AF98