Subject: Re: Madated adoption?

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:10:04 +0200

Hi,

I try to keep all this info at http://www.ipv6tf.org, but not sure if this
is as much updated as I wish.

My feeling is that only Japan has a clear "mandate" as a government decision
right now.

But there are several related documents for other governmental bodies such
as:
http://www.ipv6tf.org/meet/policy_recommendations.php

If anyone can point out some other documents, I will link them also, to have
a more complete picture. For example, I just realized that I'm missing links
to Japanese, Korean and Chinese documents, at least. I recall there is also
something from German MoD and Switzerland.

Also it could be interesting:
http://www.ipv6tf.org/news/newsroom.php?id=684

One of the conclusions is that most of the countries, at least in Europe,
have concrete government support, but not concrete "mandated" dates, most of
the time are suggestions and not widely publicized. Anyway, those
suggestions are already achieving results. In Spain most of the public
tenders ask for IPv6 support since already 3-4 years ago, but is not being
enabled by default by now in most cases (I believe this will change in the
next few months). This usually means that the ISPs and vendors have to
support IPv6 and clearly, is not smart to have different product lines (or
networks) for government business and other customers. For example, the
recommendation in 2001 from the Ministry of Public Administration (MAP) was
to purchase everything with IPv6 support on it, so it can be enabled when
required, also all the acquisitions done by the main Internet and
Information Society entity, as well as all the ministries that I'm aware of,
are following this.

I'm not sure a mandate is required, let's say as a "country" decision. I
mean, is enough if the government mandates its usage in their own
acquisitions. As said, this is good catalyst for the vendors decide if they
want to have two product lines, with and without IPv6 and interoperability
problems between both, or whatever.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Eric Klein <[email-masked]>
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:27:12 +0300
> Para: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Madated adoption?
> 
> Based on my memory (and comments about I-D
> ACTION:draft-baker-v6ops-end2end-00.txt )
> 
> 
> Tim Chown seemed surprised that I had heard that there was a mandated
> adoption date for the UK  (UK by 2008, Japan by 2010 etc - not sure about
> years for either).
> 
> Now this WG had a conversation thread a little over a year ago where these
> came up.
> 
> I was wondering if anyone knew if their (or other) countries had announced
> compliance dates for the full IPv6 conversions.
> 
> The truth is that this has dual interest to me, as we as a WG should know
> what the world (or at least individual nations) are doing or saying about
> IPv6. But this is also related to a thesis that I am working on and I am
> interested to see what is being done towards actual adoption at the national
> levels.
> 
> Eric
> 
> 

************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Information available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.

---

From: "Eric Klein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:25:54 +0300

Thanks Jordi this is very helpful.

Eric
----- Original Message -----
From: "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, August 18, 2005 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: Madated adoption?

> This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or
confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the
individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information, including attached files, is prohibited.