Subject: ISATAP interface ... if PRL is empty disable interface?

From: "John Spence" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:16:48 -0700

v24 of the ISATAP spec, 8.3.2, says that:

"After initializing an ISATAP interface's PRL, if the PRL is
empty the node SHOULD disable the interface."

Just because there is no default router, ISATAP client nodes can
exchange traffic using their link-local addresses on the virtual
ISATAP link.  That would be consistent with native nodes - just
because they have no router, and no way off the link, they still
configure link-local addresses and stand ready to talk to other
nodes that are on-link - they do not disable the interface.

Is there something else in the Spec I missed that allows nodes to
communicate using link-local addresses in the absence of an
ISATAP router?

John Spence
----------------------------------------------------
John Spence, CCSI, CCNA, CISSP
Native6, Inc.
IPv6 Training and Consulting
[email-masked]
(wk) 206-682-0275
www.native6.com
----------------------------------------------------