Subject: Re: draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure-05.txt

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:52:36 -0700

My compatriots may disagree with me; I am answering for myself.

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:56 AM, RFC Editor wrote:

> Authors,
>
> While checking the references within
> <draft-ietf-v6ops-renumbering-procedure-05.txt>, we noticed a
> reference to RFC 2535.  However, RFC 2535 has been obsoleted by RFCs
> 4033, 4034, and 4035.  Is it appropriate to replace instances of
> [RFC2535] with [RFC4033][RFC4034][RFC4035]?

Yes, I should think so. Those RFCs were published after the  
renumbering document had entered the RFC Editor's queue and escaped  
our notice.

> We also have a few other questions.
>
>
> 1) Would you object to our changing the following:
>
>    It may be considered an update to [RFC2072].
>
> To:
>
>    This document updates [RFC2072].

That works for me

> 2) We have changed the following:
>
>    Use of StateLess Address Configuration [RFC2462] (SLAC)...
>
> To:
>
>    Use of StateLess Address Autoconfiguration (SLAC) [RFC2462]...
>
> This seemed to be consistent with the title of RFC 2462 and with the
> SLAC definition in section 1.2.  Please let us know if this is
> incorrect.

That works for me

> 3) Could you please clarify the following text:
>
>    A special consideration applies when some devices are only
>    occasionally used; the administration must allow sufficiently long
>    in Section 2.6 to ensure that their likelihood of detection is
>    sufficiently high.
>
> Must allow a sufficient length of time?

Yes, the text

    A special consideration applies when some devices are only
    occasionally used; the administration must allow a sufficient
    length of time in Section 2.6 to ensure that their likelihood
    of detection is sufficiently high.

conveys the intended meaning. That said, it might be worthwhile to  
instead say

    A special consideration applies when some devices are only
    occasionally used; the administration must allow a sufficient
    length of time in Section 2.6 or apply other verification
    procedures to ensure that their likelihood of detection is
    sufficiently high.