Subject: Flow label and its uses

From: "Bora Akyol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:41:53 -0800

I am looking at pointers on how commonspread the usage of the "Flow
Label" field is in IPv6 (specifically end-node operating systems).

Any help would be appreciated,

Regards,

Bora

---

From: "Sathya Rao" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:19:35 +0100

You are right.
Though some discussions were held on IPv6 flowlabel few years back, there is 
no real implementation.
We did some implementation work and demonstrated the use of flow label to 
improve QoS. But we did not get much support  to our work.
May be time to take up again.

Cheers

Sathya

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Bora Akyol" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 1:41 AM
Subject: Flow label and its uses

Regards,

Bora

---

From: David Malone <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 10:38:18 +0000

> Label" field is in IPv6 (specifically end-node operating systems).

Orla McGann did some measurements of this in her thesis:

	http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~orly/thesis.pdf

Section 5.2.4 (page 101 of the PDF, numbered 91) has some live
measurements of how many hosts were setting the flow label and some
fingerprinting to determine what OS they were running.

	David.

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 16:43:32 +0100

I've been a little disappointed not to see multiple drafts proposing
use cases within the rules set by RFC 3697. That document was
intended to set the baseline for flow label based classifiers,
but use cases are needed too.

    Brian