Subject: Re: towards phasing out the 6bone

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:11:16 +0900

>>>>> On Sun, 25 Dec 2005 22:29:15 -0800, 
>>>>> Robert Fink <[email-masked]> said:

> Your point is a valid one. I will start sending regular reminders to
> the 6bone mail list on 1 Jan 06 and repeat them regularly till 6/6/06.

> In spite of that, many nets will ignore these warnings and thus have
> to take the consequences when all 3FFE routes are filtered out as of
> 6/6/06, and I guess that's just the way it will have to be.

Thanks for the prompt action, and sorry for the delay in response.

Aside from the discussion of whether to filter the 6bone prefix
completely on June 6th and thereafter, I agree that the best thing the
IETF can do is to send a reminder message to the current 6bone
operators.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

---

From: JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 10:34:46 +0100

Hi Jinmei, all,

Fully agree. I've been doing this with all the folks that I know still using
6Bone since several months ago.

Is important to keep the people wake up on this as much up-front as
possible, and if possible provide some examples of others that already did
the move. For example, I think WIDE is still using 6bone addresses for a few
tunnels, it may be possible to make this being moved to production space and
use it as an example for the rest of the operators (WIDE is always a nice
example with anything related to IPv6 !).

In fact, we even started a program to avoid those people who still don't
have a quality IPv6 service from their own upstream providers, in order to
avoid them losing the IPv6 service meanwhile. This is under the scope of
OCCAID (http://www.occaid.net).

I've seen a message sent to another 6Bone PoP participants, which I modify
here a bit to make it open to any 6Bone operator:

"With the termination of the 6Bone experiment on 6th June 2006, all the
6Bone address space need to be returned to the 6Bone registry on that date.
At that time the 6Bone addressing space will become widely filtered (some
operators are already filtering it right now).

Because of this, we highly recommend to all the 6Bone participants to take
early measures instead of waiting till the last minute, in order to avoid
getting the service dropped and probably missing some customers.

The 6Bone has been a long and highly successful experiment, with the result
that many ISPs are now offering their own commercial IPv6 connection
services.

You are receiving three months notice of this discontinuation of the
6Bone facility as a reminder in the hope that this is sufficient time for
you to make alternative arrangements for your continued IPv6 connection
requirements. Our first suggestion is that you ask for the service to your
existing upstream providers, most of them are already providing the service,
or just waiting for customers like you demanding for it in order to start
the service. If this doesn't work and you can't look for alternative service
providers, there are several alternative choices.

One of them is public utility non-for-profit projects, such as OCCAID
(http://www.occaid.org), which may be able to provide transit in a temporary
basis until you can get it from your commercial upstream providers. If you
are interested in taking up this offer, please send an e-mail to
[email-masked]."

Regards,
Jordi

> De: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <[email-masked]>
> Organización: Research & Development Center, Toshiba Corp., Kawasaki, Japan.
> Responder a: <[email-masked]>
> Fecha: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 18:11:16 +0900
> Para: <[email-masked]>
> CC: <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> Asunto: Re: towards phasing out the 6bone
> 

**********************************************
The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org

Barcelona 2005 Global IPv6 Summit
Slides available at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, including attached files, is prohibited.