Subject: Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 13:07:12 +0200

Hi,

Here is a draft I wrote about the issues surrounding multihoming in  
IPv6 using PA address space, proposing a BGP community to tag the  
prefixes used for this.

Feedback is highly appreciated (also in person at the RIPE meeting  
next week). The -01 with only minor changes should be up soon, or you  
can find it at http://www.muada.com/drafts/draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa- 
mhome-community-01.txt

Begin forwarded message:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
> directories.

> 	Title		: BGP Community for PA Multihoming
> 	Author(s)	: I. van Beijnum
> 	Filename	: draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa-mhome-community-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 8
> 	Date		: 2006-9-11

> When an organization wants to connect to the internet using two or  
> more
> Internet Service Providers (multihoming), this is usually done by
> setting up BGP routing between the organization in question and  
> each of
> its ISPs. For this, the multihomed organization needs a block of  
> address space. This can either be a provider independent (PI)  
> address block that belongs to the organization, or a block out of  
> the provider aggregatable (PA) address space of one its ISPs.

> With IPv4, an address block of at least /24 will generally be suitable
> for multihoming, whether its origin is PI or PA. However, until now,
> ISPs were encouraged to only accept /32 prefixes from IPv6 PA space,
> while end-users generally receive a /48. This makes multihoming  
> with PA
> address space in IPv6 very difficult. This memo describes a new
> well-known BGP community attribute for tagging prefixes used for
> multihoming with PA space in order to facilitate filtering, rather  
> than
> filter based on prefix length alone.

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-van-beijnum-v6ops-pa- 
> mhome-community-00.txt