Subject: draft-dickson-v6ops-aggregation and draft-dickson-v6ops-assignment

From: Brian Dickson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 20:50:20 -0500

[repost, with better subject line]

We're getting close to the next meeting, so now would be a good time to 
take a look at these drafts, if you haven't already.

My hope is that there isn't anything controversial, and that the 
information is useful enough to adopt as a WG item.

Please raise any initial questions now, so they can be addressed 
offline; I'd prefer microphone time to focus on high-level aspects of 
the drafts.

Thanks,
Brian Dickson

(original post follows)

I've put some useful information together into two IDs, which I'm hoping 
others will find interesting.

They could live pretty much anywhere, but I feel it may be most relevant 
to those in the IPv6 ops community, as that is where the greatest amount 
of new address assignment growth will be occurring.

If there is consensus, they might be suitable for wg documents, with 
intended Informational status.

[briand - the slot has been granted - was: I would like to request a 
time slot to present info and do a brief Q & A on both documents, at 
IETF-71. ]

Hopefully it won't take long to discuss them.

Thanks, and as always, questions and comments are welcome.

Brian Dickson

P.S. Here are the links to the drafts:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dickson-v6ops-aggregation-00.txt
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-dickson-v6ops-assignment-00.txt

-----
A new version of I-D, draft-dickson-v6ops-assignment-00.txt has been 
successfuly submitted by Brian Dickson and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:     draft-dickson-v6ops-assignment
Revision:     00
Title:         A Survey and Analysis of Address Allocation Strategies 
for IPv4 and IPv6
Creation_date:     2008-02-06
WG ID:         Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 18

Abstract:
This Internet Draft describes, analyzes, and compares different
strategies for allocating addresses, in a way that can be generalized
for any power-of-two sized, binary address space.  One such strategy
is proposed as being "optimal", when viewed from the perspective of
space-packing efficiency.  This Draft recommends use of this
technique as a "Best Current Practice", for both IPv4 and IPv6
address allocations.Author's Note

This Internet Draft is intended to result in this draft or a related
draft(s) being placed on the Informational Track for v6ops.
-----
A new version of I-D, draft-dickson-v6ops-aggregation-00.txt has been 
successfuly submitted by Brian Dickson and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:     draft-dickson-v6ops-aggregation
Revision:     00
Title:         Aggregation: Methods and Benefits, for IPv4, IPv6 or 
other binary addresses
Creation_date:     2008-02-06
WG ID:         Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 21

Abstract:
This Internet Draft discusses general benefits of aggregation, with
quantitative examples of different aggregation strategies for the
same set of allocations.  Recommended "best practices" for service
providers and enterprises are listed, as well as "how-to"
information.Author's Note

This Internet Draft is intended for Informational status, for v6ops
or other suitable WG.