Subject: [Fwd: [BEHAVE] ICE and v4v6NATs]

From: marcelo bagnulo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 09:27:55 +0100

FYI

the discussion is on the behave ml

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto: 	[BEHAVE] ICE and v4v6NATs
Fecha: 	Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:34:42 +0100
De: 	marcelo bagnulo <[email-masked]>
Para: 	[email-masked]

Hi,

In the v6ops WG we are defining the requirements for next generation v4 
<-> v6 NATs.
One issue that it is not clear to use (among many), is what level of ICE 
support shoudl be required, or what type of interaction between these 
boxes and ICE should be required.

The scenario that we are considering is the following one:

 +----------------------------------+-------------------------------+
 |           v4 Internet            |         v6 Internet           |
 | +------+                   +------------+               +------+ |
 | | IPv4 |                   |   NAT64    |               | IPv6 | |
 | | only |-------------------|  v4 |  v6  |---------------| only | |
 | | node |                   | Translator |               | node | |
 | +------+                   +------------+               +------+ |
 |                                  |                               |
 +----------------------------------+-------------------------------+

Now, would it be possible to use ICE in this scenario?
I am kind of confused cause using ICE would imply exposing v6 addresses 
to v4 nodes and viceversa, right? i don't know if that makes sense...

any comments on this would be really helpful

thanks, marcelo

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 11:43:26 +0100

marcelo bagnulo wrote :

> In the v6ops WG we are defining
the requirements for next generation

> v4 <-> v6 NATs.

In my understanding, NAT64 has been found necessary  for  IPv4
transport connections via IPv6 (the "v4v6v4" case).

As I explained during the v6ops meeting in Philadelphia, there exists
a simpler alternative for v4v6v4.

With it,  the only NAT function is NAT44  (neither NAT64 nor NAT46 are
needed).

The NAT44 of router-CPEs only needs  to be associated with some
"address and Port borrowing protocol (APBP)" similar to that proposed
in SHANTI
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-carpenter-shanti-01.txt).

One issue that it is not clear to use
(among many),

> is what level of ICE support shoudl be required, or what type of

> interaction between these boxes and ICE should be required.

> any comments on this would be really helpful

With this approach, everithing which works with NAT44, ICE in
particular, works the same way with NAT44 + APBP.

Also,  ISP provided functions are more scalable.

I work on an I-D describing it.  It should be available soon.

Regards

Rémi