Subject: in-addr.arpa. in DHCPv6-PD scenario

From: Mikael Abrahamsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:48:36 +0200 (CEST)

I wrote this <http://www.michnet.net/mail.archives/nanog/msg15126.html> to 
the nanog list a while back and there I asked (amongst other things) 
regarding how reverse-dnslookup would work in a DHCPv6-PD scenario. I'm 
now attending the ILNG session in IRTF/RRG and there reverse-dns seems to 
be an integral part of how ILNG works.

Do we delegate reverse-dns to the IPv6 CPE router for the prefixes handed 
out to residential users in the PD scenario, and in that case, how does 
this work? Quick google didn't give me anything, does anyone know?

-- 
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email-masked]

---

From: Gert Doering <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:45:50 +0200

Hi,

> this work? Quick google didn't give me anything, does anyone know?

I'm not aware of any existing standards and/or implementations to do so.

For our few residential IPv6 customers (that do not use DHCP PD, but 
static prefix allocation & routing), we run the reverse DNS on our 
systems - assuming that a normal residential user has not the slightest
idea what reverse DNS might be, or how to maintain this.

(For users that *do* know, we delegate manually, but even in IPv4, this
is a tiny fraction only)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  128645

SpaceNet AG                        Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14          Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                   HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (89) 32356-444            USt-IdNr.: DE813185279

---

From: "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:14:15 -0400

Are you concerned about reverse-dns for items in the home or in the
internet?

For the home, I would imagine that if the IPv6 CPE router supported a
local DNS server, then that server would also handle PTR queries.

- Wes

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Mikael Abrahamsson
Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 3:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: in-addr.arpa. in DHCPv6-PD scenario

I wrote this <http://www.michnet.net/mail.archives/nanog/msg15126.html>
to the nanog list a while back and there I asked (amongst other things)
regarding how reverse-dnslookup would work in a DHCPv6-PD scenario. I'm
now attending the ILNG session in IRTF/RRG and there reverse-dns seems
to be an integral part of how ILNG works.

Do we delegate reverse-dns to the IPv6 CPE router for the prefixes
handed out to residential users in the PD scenario, and in that case,
how does this work? Quick google didn't give me anything, does anyone
know?