Subject: draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security filtering inside tunnels

From: james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 17:27:17 +0200

everyone--

In the discussion of draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security at the  
meeting session today, I conducted a hum to see what the working group  
thought about the three separate alternatives for dealing with IP-in- 
IP and GREv1 tunnels.

The alternatives polled:

   - No change, i.e. recommend to allow inbound/outbound without  
filtering inside tunnels.
   - Remove the recommendation to allow inbound tunnel initiations by  
DEFAULT.
   - Work with the VPN/FW community to refine language to recommend  
filtering inside tunnels.

The strength of the hums on these three alternatives were just about  
equal.

The chair then asked for another hum about where we preferred "to not  
do that," which we clarified afterward was about whether the working  
group preferred to recommend something other than filtering inside  
tunnels.  That hum seemed noticeably stronger than the other three hums.

So, we're going to have to hash this out on the list, and probably  
have more discussion about this in Hiroshima.  Grmf.

As the editor, I'd like to invite the proponents of filtering inside  
tunnels to propose some text for the working group to consider.  We  
can all discuss those ideas here, and I'll do my best to help  
facilitate the emergence of a consensus.

--
james woodyatt <[email-masked]>
member of technical staff, communications engineering