Subject: [v6ops] New I-D on 4rd

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2011 12:06:31 +0100

Hello everybody,

We have submitted tools.ietf.org/html/draft-despres-intarea-4rd-00 and plan to present it and discuss it in Prague.
It specifies the 4rd architecture and protocol for IPv4 Residual Deployment across IPv6 (4rd).

It is an update from the previous proposal addressed to Softwire for IETF 79, but concluded there to be out of scope.

Two other recent drafts refer to the 4rd specification:
- tools.ietf.org/id/draft-matsushima-v6ops-transition-experience-00
- tools.ietf.org/id/draft-sun-intarea-4rd-applicability-00.txt

Comments are most welcome.

Regards,
RD

<<<
Internet Engineering Task Force                          R. Despres, Ed.
Internet-Draft                                                 RD-IPtech
Intended status: Standards Track                           S. Matsushima
Expires: September 8, 2011                                      SoftBank
                                                             T. Murakami
                                                             IP Infusion
                                                                O. Troan
                                                                   Cisco
                                                           March 7, 2011

      IPv4 Residual Deployment across IPv6-Service networks (4rd)
                         ISP-NAT's made optional
                      draft-despres-intarea-4rd-00

Abstract

   This document specifies an automatic tunneling mechanism for
   providing IPv4 connectivity service to end users over a service
   provider's IPv6 network infrastructure.  During the long transition
   period from IPv4-only to IPv6-only, a service provider's network
   infrastructure will have to deploy IPv6.  But it will also have to
   maintain some IPv4 connectivity for a number of customers, for both
   outgoing and incoming connections, and for both customer-individual
   and shared IPv4 addresses.  The 4rd solution (IPv4 Residual
   Deployment) is designed as a lightweight solution for this.

   In some scenarios, 4rd can dispense ISPs from supporting any NAT in
   their infrastructures.  In some others it can be used in parallel
   with NAT-based solutions such as DS-lite and/or NAT64/DNS4. 

...

Table of Contents

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  Requirements Language  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   3.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
   4.  Mapping Rules  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     4.1.  From an IPv6 Prefix to a 4rd Prefix  . . . . . . . . . . .  5
     4.2.  From a 4rd Prefix longer than 32 bits to a Port-set ID . .  6
     4.3.  From a Port-Set ID to a Port Set . . . . . . . . . . . . .  6
     4.4.  From an IPv4 Address or IPv4 address + Port to a CE
           IPv6 address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
     4.5.  MTU Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   5.  4rd Configuration  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
   6.  BR and CE behaviors  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
     6.1.  Encapsulation and IPv6 Fragmentations  . . . . . . . . . . 10
     6.2.  Domains having only One Mapping rule . . . . . . . . . . . 11
       6.2.1.  BR reception of an IPv4 packet . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
       6.2.2.  BR reception of an IPv4/IPv6 packet  . . . . . . . . . 12
       6.2.3.  CE reception of an IPv4 packet . . . . . . . . . . . . 12
       6.2.4.  CE reception of an IPv4/IPv6 packet  . . . . . . . . . 13
     6.3.  Domains having Multiple Mapping Rules (TBD)  . . . . . . . 13
   7.  Security considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   8.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   9.  Acknowledgments  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
   10. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
     10.1. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
     10.2. Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15
   Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 15