Subject: [v6ops] BCP 157, RFC 6177 on IPv6 Address Assignment to End Sites

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:47:08 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 157        
        RFC 6177

        Title:      IPv6 Address Assignment to End 
                    Sites 
        Author:     T. Narten, G. Huston,
                    L. Roberts
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      9
        Characters: 21231
        Obsoletes:  RFC3177
        See Also:   BCP0157

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-v6ops-3177bis-end-sites-01.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6177.txt

RFC 3177 argued that in IPv6, end sites should be assigned /48 blocks
in most cases.  The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) adopted that
recommendation in 2002, but began reconsidering the policy in 2005.
This document obsoletes the RFC 3177 recommendations on the
assignment of IPv6 address space to end sites.  The exact choice of
how much address space to assign end sites is an issue for the
operational community.  The IETF's role in this case is limited to
providing guidance on IPv6 architectural and operational
considerations.  This document reviews the architectural and
operational considerations of end site assignments as well as the
motivations behind the original recommendations in RFC 3177.  Moreover, 
this document clarifies that a one-size-fits-all recommendation of /48 is
not nuanced enough for the broad range of end sites and is no longer
recommended as a single default.

This document obsoletes RFC 3177.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group of the IETF.

BCP: This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for 
improvements. Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC