Subject: Re: [v6ops] small concern about CPE advanced requirements

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:06:33 -0600

I am planning to submit a new copy of the CPE advanced requirements
document.  Please let me know if this new text works for you guys.

DLW-4:  If the IPv6 CE Router is configured with a IPv4 address within a
specific addressing range on its WAN interface the IPv6 CE Router MUST
disable the DS-Lite B4 element.  The specific addressing range is the
set of addresses specified in [RFC1918] and the well-known IPv4 address
specified in [I-D.ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite].

Thanks,

Hemant

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Lee, Yiu
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 10:22 PM
To: Francis Dupont; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] small concern about CPE advanced requirements

Agreed.

On 11/9/10 8:26 PM, "Francis Dupont" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>In draft-wbeebee-v6ops-ipv6-cpe-router-bis-04.txt,
>'5.6.1.  Dual-Stack(DS)-Lite' page 9:
>
>   DLW-4:  If the IPv6 CE Router is configured with an non-RFC1918 IPv4
>           address on its WAN interface, the IPv6 CE Router MUST
disable
>           the DS-Lite B4 element.
>
>The 192.0.0.0/29 from draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-06.txt
>'5.7.  Well-known IPv4 address' page 9 must be added to
>RFC 1918 addresses.
>
>Regards
>
>[email-masked]
>_______________________________________________
>v6ops mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

_______________________________________________
v6ops mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/v6ops

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 11:55:25 -0800

> specified in [I-D.ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite].

I had to read that a couple of times before I thought I understood. The problem is the ambiguity of "a specific addressing range".

ARe you trying to say "if the IPv6 CE Router is configured with an [RFC1918] address..."? Or are you referring to a different address?

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 14:52:41 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker (fred) 
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 2:55 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: Lee, Yiu; Francis Dupont; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] small concern about CPE advanced requirements

>I had to read that a couple of times before I thought I understood. The
problem is the ambiguity of "a specific addressing range".

>ARe you trying to say "if the IPv6 CE Router is configured with an
[RFC1918] address..."? Or are you referring to a different address?

Sorry, I screwed up the text.  For one, I am trying to say if the IPv6
CE router is configured with a public (non-RFC 1918) IPv4 address on its
WAN interface, the IPv6 CE Router MUST disable the DS-Lite B4 element.
However, the private RFC 1918 address range has to be expanded to
include reserved IPv4 address(es) from section 5.7 of
draft-ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite-06.  How about this new text that
borrows terminology from RFC 1918. 

DLW-4: If the IPv6 CE Router is configured with a public IPv4 address on
its WAN interface, where public IPv4 address is defined as any address
which is not in the private IP address space specified in [RFC1918] and
also not in the reserved IP address space specified in
[I-D.ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite], then the IPv6 CE Router MUST
disable the DS-Lite B4 element. 

Thanks,

Hemant

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:20:03 -0500

How about:

DLW-4: If the IPv6 CE Router is configured with an address from the
private IP address space specified in [RFC1918] or the reserved IP
address space specified in [I-D.ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite], then
the IPv6 CE Router MUST disable the DS-Lite B4 element.

- Ralph

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:25:30 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) 
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 4:20 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: Ralph Droms (rdroms); Fred Baker (fred); [email-masked]; Lee, Yiu
Subject: Re: [v6ops] small concern about CPE advanced requirements

>the IPv6 CE Router MUST disable the DS-Lite B4 element.

Text above won't work because the B4 element has to be disabled only if
a "public" IPv4 address is configured on the WAN interface of the IPv6
CE router.

Thanks,

Hemant

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 13:30:13 -0800

The text makes more sense. As to the requirement - I'll leave that question to others.

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:32:34 -0500

Oops, I got the sense of the test backwards.

Let's try:

DLW-4: If the IPv6 CE Router is configured with an address which is
not in the private IP address space specified in [RFC1918] or which is
in the reserved IP address space specified in
[I-D.ietf-softwire-dual-stack-lite], then the IPv6 CE Router MUST
disable the DS-Lite B4 element.

Goal is to minimize the text; your call as to whether it's easier to understand.

- Ralph

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:34:14 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms (rdroms) 
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 4:33 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: Ralph Droms (rdroms); Fred Baker (fred); [email-masked]; Lee, Yiu
Subject: Re: [v6ops] small concern about CPE advanced requirements

>Goal is to minimize the text; your call as to whether it's easier to
understand.

Your new text is super!  Will take the text.

Thanks much!

Hemant

---

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 15:44:45 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Baker (fred) 
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2011 4:30 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: Lee, Yiu; Francis Dupont; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [v6ops] small concern about CPE advanced requirements

>The text makes more sense. As to the requirement - I'll leave that
question to others.

If one has a public IPv4 address configured on the WAN interface of the
IPv6 CE router, the SP has native IPv4 service available and thus why
would the CE use DS-Lite which encapsulates IPv4 in IPv6.  That is why
this requirement came about.

Hemant