Subject: [v6ops] Document Action: 'An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-03.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 23:01:52 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'An Incremental Carrier-Grade NAT (CGN) for IPv6 Transition'
  (draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-03.txt) as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IPv6 Operations Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ron Bonica and Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn/

Technical Summary

   Global IPv6 deployment was slower than originally expected. As IPv4
   address exhaustion approaches, the IPv4 to IPv6 transition issues
   become more critical and less tractable. Host-based transition
   mechanisms used in dual stack environments are not able to meet the
   transition requirements. Most end users are not sufficiently expert
   to configure or maintain host-based transition mechanisms. Carrier-
   Grade NAT (CGN) devices with integrated transition mechanisms can
   reduce the operational change required during the IPv4 to IPv6
   migration or coexistence period.

   This document proposes an incremental CGN approach for IPv6
   transition. It can provide IPv6 access services for IPv6-enabled
   hosts and IPv4 access services for IPv4 hosts while leaving much of a
   legacy IPv4 ISP network unchanged. It is suitable for the initial
   stage of IPv4 to IPv6 migration. Unlike NAT444 based CGN alone,
   Incremental CGN also supports and encourages transition towards dual-
   stack or IPv6-only ISP networks. A smooth transition to IPv6
   deployment is also described in this document.

   An integrated configurable CGN device and an adaptive Home Gateway
   (HG) device are introduced. Both HG and CGN are re-usable devices
   during different transition periods. It avoids potential multiple
   upgrades. It enables IPv6 migration to be incrementally achieved
   according to the real user requirements.

Working Group Summary

   draft-ietf-v6ops-incremental-cgn-00, was accepted as v6ops WG 	
   document, 2009-11-17. Working Group Last Call completed on v6ops
   10/27/10. draft 02 was was released to address grammar issues and
   idnits in document shepherd review.

Document Quality

   Cross-area review from participants on the internet and transport
   areas has been a solicited and provided in the course of document
   socialization. Solicitation of directed reviews (particularly from
   OPS directorate) should probably be part of the post-last-call
   process.

Personel

Fred Baker is shepherd.