Subject: [v6ops] Feedback to "Stacking it up"

From: Martin Millnert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 02:44:00 -0400

v6ops, Geoff,

I have the following feedback to Geoff's "Stacking it up" presentation:

  a) 25% successful Teredo IPv6-literal connection GETs:  I was
expecting something like this, and thank you for having measured it!
=>
It lends credit to the fact that the hosts are increasingly "not the
problem". The networks are (and CPE, grumble). A good thing in the grand
scheme of everything.  Nice to see it tested with real numbers and real
connections. :)

  b) on 6to4 traffic not suffering from congestion: 
    1) There are relays in the wild suffering from pure packet
forwarding congestion,
    2) Just putting this one out there: TCP Slow Start penalty? It's
responsible for slow loading of web pages elsewhere:
http://www.chromium.org/spdy . (A verification test would need
wireshark, a controlled delay of outgoing packets to simulate bad
outbound-from-client 6to4 path.)
    3) State of average 6to4 paths (inbound & outbound) *must* be adding
penalties, via TCP Congestion Control, to the general traffic levels.
But perhaps not with a significant impact? 
("Exception that proves the rule":  ISP consumer-throttling devices not
handling tunnels -- have seen this with Teredo)

Thanks for the nice work Geoff!

Regards,
Martin