Subject: Re: [v6ops] Privacy Considerations of draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-07

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:05:06 +0000

I will shortly be making the –08 update (tomorrow).

Wes – I have made your proposed changes.

Thanks!
Jason

On 10/14/11 11:44 AM, "George, Wes" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

I think that the first two paragraphs are useful, and that you should keep 6.2 pretty much as-is, but remove “probably” in both of the places that it is used.

Thanks,

Wes George

From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Livingood, Jason
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 9:58 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>; Hannes Tschofenig; Alissa Cooper
Subject: [v6ops] Privacy Considerations of draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-07

One open question on the latest draft is in Section 6.2, pertaining to Privacy Considerations. One reviewer has suggestion removing the first two paragraphs in this section (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-07#section-6.2) and leaving only the third paragraph.

I am asking for feedback from the v6ops WG and from 2 IAB members here, Alissa and Hannes, who have been vocal on the topic of privacy consideration sections. My inclination is to leave the section largely as it is now in a longer form, rather than reducing it down (more detail being better).

Any opinions in the WG or from Alissa or Hannes?

Thanks!
Jason

________________________________
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.

---

From: "Livingood, Jason" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 22:05:20 +0000

Thanks for your feedback as well, Alissa. These changes to the 1st and 2nd
paragraphs in the Privacy Considerations section will be made. This will
be in a -08 update tomorrow.

As for the device fingerprinting item - thanks for the heads up, that will
be useful in other I-Ds I am working on. In terms of this document, with
the changes you proposed and I have made for the -08 version, we should
not need to mention this since the information will be aggregate-level and
not more detailed.

- Jason

On 10/23/11 5:54 AM, "Alissa Cooper" <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

I agree. I would suggest some tweaks to the first paragraph to make the
intent and applicability more clear:

As noted in Section 4.1, there is a benefit in sharing IPv6-related
   impairment statistics within the Internet community over time.  Any
   statistics that are shared or disclosed publicly should be aggregate
statistics, such as
   "the domain example.com has observed an average daily impairment rate
   of 0.05% in September 2011, down from 0.15% in January 2011".  They
should not include information that can directly or indirectly identify
individuals, such as names or email addresses.  Sharing only aggregate
data can help
   protect end user privacy and any information which may be proprietary
   to a domain.

In the second paragraph you might replace "or otherwise" with "and" since
advising an end user is not necessarily a means of obtaining consent.

Incidentally, the IAB has published draft guidance about privacy
considerations,
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-privacy-considerations-01. One of
the areas that the guidance highlights is device fingerprinting. I assume
that IPv6 impairment status is a piece of information that can make a
device more susceptible to being uniquely fingerprinted; it might be
worth mentioning that in this section to illustrate why impairment status
should be disclosed/shared with care.

Alissa

On Oct 14, 2011, at 4:44 PM, George, Wes wrote:

I think that the first two paragraphs are useful, and that you should
keep 6.2 pretty much as-is, but remove “probably” in both of the places
that it is used.

Thanks,

Wes George

From: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Livingood, Jason
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2011 9:58 AM
To: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>; Hannes Tschofenig; Alissa Cooper
Subject: [v6ops] Privacy Considerations of
draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implications-07

One open question on the latest draft is in Section 6.2, pertaining to
Privacy Considerations. One reviewer has suggestion removing the first
two paragraphs in this section
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-v6-aaaa-whitelisting-implica
tions-07#section-6.2) and leaving only the third paragraph.

I am asking for feedback from the v6ops WG and from 2 IAB members here,
Alissa and Hannes, who have been vocal on the topic of privacy
consideration sections. My inclination is to leave the section largely
as it is now in a longer form, rather than reducing it down (more detail
being better).

Thanks!
Jason
This E-mail and any of its attachments may contain Time Warner Cable
proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject
to copyright belonging to Time Warner Cable. This E-mail is intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient of this E-mail, you are hereby
notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or action taken
in relation to the contents of and attachments to this E-mail is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this
E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently
delete the original and any copy of this E-mail and any printout.